Forum home Wildlife gardening

National Trust and fox hunting

On July 10, the League Against Cruel Sports launched a campaign calling on the National Trust to end hunting on its land.

If like others, you are shocked to read that hunting continues, come along to one of the roadshows and find out how you can play your part in the National Trust AGM on October 30.

Staff, volunteers and the League's mascot, Vinny the fox, will be there to answer any questions you have.

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,354
    I'm not a member although I have considered it but won't be joining now as I don't like their policies.
  • Thanks for your reply Barry island :)

Whilst there is a lot of good that the National Trust do - this is one thing that they fall short on and really must change. It's worth nothing that by being a member, you can vote in the AGM about any views that you may have on anything they do or don't do..
  • EmerionEmerion Posts: 380
    Lack of permission won’t stop them. I was helping friends gather in their sheep when the local hunt came piling through in hot pursuit of a desperate fox. My friends yelled at them to get out, only to be met with the response that they had the landowner’s permission. As they had been living there for over 20 years, that permission, if it ever existed in the first place, was a tad out of date.  Plus, hasn’t hunting with dogs been illegal for years? Hunts might claim that they only ever cause foxes to run “by mistake”, but it looked pretty deliberate to me. I’m not particularly fond of foxes myself, having had to give up keeping free range chickens after a long, losing battle. But the sight of that poor creature labouring for breath made me feel sick, and has changed me from a neutral to an anti. I’m not saying that it’s not worth pressuring the NT though. It all helps. 
    Carmarthenshire 
    If at first you don’t succeed, have some cake. 
  • NorthernJoeNorthernJoe Posts: 638
    edited 21 August
    Round here there's a wide range of people into the local hunt.  It's not the Eton crowd into it so don't fool yourself.  It's through all sectors of rural society and there's a strong and often justified feeling that ignorant urban types have them under attack.

I am against hunting with hounds or other animals for larger mammals but I am for the more clinical vermin hunting with terriers. If you've seen a terrier catch and dispatch a rat or rabbit without training just pure instinct you'll see it's not like fix hunting. Fox hunting is detecting and hunting a fox for some time.  It's not quick and as long as there's legal hunts chasing scent trails going on there's always going to be foxes and indeed pets killed.  IMHO those "accidents " mean that chasing a scent trail form of hunting with hounds cannot happen! 

I however have serious issues with the league and cannot support anything they call for. We're not NT members but would never have voted with the league if I had been a member.  We need grown ups to stop this. The league and Boris certainly don't count in this regards. 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,918
    I've been threatened by the local stag hunt to keep my effing mouth shut when all I was doing was walking across a field with my dog. I happened to be there in time to see their hounds chasing a stag, which they aren't supposed to do. But of course they do. Ride around here with a pack of dogs and there's more or less zero chance you won't come across deer - we see them most days. It's all a charade of compliance. 

I have some sympathy with the NT though. They rely on the sort of people who support hunting not only for funds but also for volunteers. They could make a stand, but it would cost them dear, not only financially. It would be better if the law was clear and it was just banned.
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,924
    edited 21 August
    As I say, it’s never going to be banned when those in power find it sexually thrilling, as our prime minister clearly does. Make it legally ambiguous and you can carry on as before. To my knowledge, nobody involved in the Bakewell cat killing episode faced the law. It was killed while it sat in its own garden. You’d think the law of trespass at the very least would apply, but it seems they are above it all.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 341
    If you hunt for food or vermin control, and cause the least pain and distress to the animal, fair enough in my opinion. I used to fish and hunt myself in my youth, though i would have been classed as a poacher. I would often take a salmon or a deer for the pot, or to add a few quid to the family budget. As i got older i stopped as i started feeling empathy for the animals.
    If you hunt because you enjoy seeing an animal torn to bits then you have mental health issues.
    There are very sick people in the world, and unfortunately they seem to make the rules.
    Sunny Dundee
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,924
    edited 21 August
    I don’t eat animals because I know I couldn’t kill one with my own hands. Our cat was put to sleep by the vet the other day, in the most humane way possible, after he had begun to cough up blood and we knew his days were numbered. That night I dreamed that I was lying on a seat, as he had been in our conservatory. A dark figure was standing over me. It reached towards me. I woke up screaming. In my dream I was our cat. I wish that people who kill animals could have a similar dream once in a while.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • On July 10, the League Against Cruel Sports launched a campaign calling on the National Trust to end hunting on its land.

If like others, you are shocked to read that hunting continues, come along to one of the roadshows and find out how you can play your part in the National Trust AGM on October 30.

Staff, volunteers and the League's mascot, Vinny the fox, will be there to answer any questions you have.

I'm not sure I can make one of the roadshows but good luck with the campaign.