Forum home The potting shed

🏆And the prize for the worst PITA weed 2021 goes to .......

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,533
    This year it has to be marestail / horsetail for me.  Darn stuff is everywhere.  At least with brambles and bindweed you can win the battle in one season if you try hard.  Marestail just laughs at you.
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,169
    I would love to know how to win the battle against bindweed in one season @KT53, have you seen the roots of the bindweed down here?
  • floralies said:
    I would love to know how to win the battle against bindweed in one season @KT53, have you seen the roots of the bindweed down here?
    Ditto with Brambles   Depends on the site but not easily dismissed believe me.
    Not that I would prefer Marestail  ;)
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,533
    I was fortunate that when we moved in the garden was pretty much empty and I was young and fit.  I dug out the bramble roots and went over the borders by hand removing all the bindweed I could find.  After that I just sprayed weedkiller when new growth appeared.
  • Empty garden and young and fit ?  Easy peasy  :D

Decrepit plus garden not touched for 30 years, Conservation Area and TPO's  - not so easy peasy  ;)

This should probably be on the Curmudgeons thread.
  • a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 1,033
    I have a great deal of ground elder, bindweed and Russian vine at my new plot. In terms of size and damage, the Russian vine wins. It was about 40 feet across, and had swamped and killed a range of large apple trees and shrubs. Killed everything it climbed over, except holly, which somehow survived the experience. 
    After the slash and burn it’s cropping up everywhere, but I have high hopes of winning. 
    Long term I think it will be ground elder that drives me mad, though the speed of bindweed is quite something.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,303
    floralies said:
    Roundup
    Devon.
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,613
    Hostafan1 said:
    floralies said:
    Roundup
    It’s certainly helping me control it in next door’s garden. I’m shocked at how quickly it works compared to other sprays I’ve tried. 

I’m definitely wearing gloves when I use it! 
  • borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 543
    For me in my garden - ground elder, bramble, couch grass and dock share first prize. 
    Geum urbanum, ash, arum and oxalis not far behind.

But I'll take all of that lot over bindweed or horsetail (touch wood...)
  • Voting for willowherb here since it just always spreads back into any part of the garden no mater how many times it is dug out. Particularly the smaller type that has such brief flowering before it turns into a mass of seeds. Definitely reduced it a bit but sure if I checked about the place I'd find some new ones have sprouted up. Also have a ground elder issue in one corner that got a bit more extensive this year but will do some more planting to try contain it in winter. Read somewhere that comfrey can make a good root barrier to prevent some weeds spreading so going to take some root cuttings and give this a try.