Forum home The potting shed

🏆And the prize for the worst PITA weed 2021 goes to .......

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Bindweed. Oxalis doesn't do anything, it just sits there.
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,580
    I second that yellow oxalis stuff (the one with the brown leaves) Horrid looking thing which self seeds at every opportunity (especially in the tiniest cracks) and the roots are incredibly tenacious for such a small thing.

It's a toss up between that, lesser celandine, brambles, bindweed, spanish bluebells, thistles, herb robert and wild arum italicum - all of which are removed at regular intervals - only to reappear after the first drop of rain.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,034
    edited August 2021
    But I haven't got any so I can't vote for it. Jasminium beesianum and wild honeysuckle comes over from next door to choke my roses. Will that do?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 1,401
    Bindweed and brambles.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,324
    creeping thistle, couch grass and willow herb
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 1,273
    Some sort of grass, a creeping holcus? that sends deep roots from mown grass, under stone walls, far into borders before popping up. It necessitates digging up plants to clear the thick white roots. Awful stuff.
    And marestail, never had this before but now that is coming under a stone boundary wall from the farmer's field......with creeping thistles.
  • MarranMarran Posts: 171
    Creeping cinquefoil ...
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,999
    Another vote for oxalis. The ruddy stuff gets everywhere in spite of my best efforts. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,291
    Out on a limb here - ground elder and yellow loosestrife!
    Neck and neck I would say, but a bit easier to clear the loosestrife, I've attacked quite a lot of it already, but there's always bits of GE I can't get at, or only by lifting all the other plants :(
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble SuffolkPosts: 4,305
    Bindweed, ground elder and brambles total nightmare and main features of my garden when I first moved in!