Forum home Plants

Cornus White Fountain

Can somebody please help with my unhappy cornus. I planted it last autumn. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,794
    I can't see anything wrong in that photo.
    What do you think is wrong with it?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709
    edited August 2021
    It looks perfect.
    Many Cornus have leaves that sort of droop.
    Make sure you keep it well watered for the first year.

It should look amazing as it grows.

https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/cornus-kousa-white-fountain-tree-p746
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • It might be my photography. All the leaves are curling and going brown round the edges. It's been like this most of the summer. I have kept it well watered and given it a feed, we live in a very rainy area so it can't be lack of water. It just doesn't look happy.

• Just checked out the link you attached silver surfer and my leaves do not look like the ones on the photograph. The photographs don't show it very well but the leaves are curling quite a lot as if its really thirsty which I know it isn't with all the rain that has fallen here. 
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709
    Just checked out the link you attached silver surfer and my leaves do not look like the ones on the photograph. The photographs don't show it very well but the leaves are curling quite a lot as if its really thirsty which I know it isn't with all the rain that has fallen here. 
    Had another look at your new pic.
    I grew many different Cornus and really feel your leaves look  just fine.

The link shows the autumn colour.
    Quote...."The pointy, oval shaped foliage turns a rich, brick red with tones of pink and gold in the autumn."

Please read this link to see if it helps.
    https://www.vandergiessennursery.com/2012/07/18/qa-my-dogwood-has-curled-leaves-whats-wrong/

See what others think./say.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    A photo of the whole shrub, plus more info about how it's being, and has been, grown, would help - type of soil, site etc.

It's surprising how many people don't realise how important that is. We regularly get queries on the forum about a plant failing, only to discover later that it's being grown in very unsuitable conditions [in a pot where it won't thrive, in sun when it needs shade, waterlogged soil when it needs sharp drainage etc ] and it's why we ask the questions  :)
    It's also surprising how rain doesn't always get into the base of shrubs, because the canopy prevents it. Shrubs and trees need to be checked just to ensure they aren't getting dried out, especially in the first year after planting.  :)

• Thanks for that 2nd link Silver Surfer, I think that is exactly what is happening with my cornus, it is a young tree and I only put it in last autumn so its put my mind at rest everything is ok. It is such a stunning tree, I can't wait for the leaves to start changing colour. I did do my homework before hand on soil type, sun/shade etc to give it the best start in life so hopefully once it has established itself it will settle down. 
    I'm sure it'll be fine.  :)
    This spring was very dry [and windy]  in many areas, and that can be enough to set back newly planted shrubs/trees too. A bigger specimen, in particular, can struggle - and it can happen very quickly. 
    A good mulching after heavy rain can help too, and just ensures the soil stays moist in drier spells.  :)