Forum home The potting shed

Metal sheds

Does  anyone have any experience with Metal sheds - I am thinking of getting one for storage in the hope that they will be rodent proof.

• Forester_PeteForester_Pete DevonPosts: 140
    I got a small metal building last year to house various bits and bobs like big pots, netting and stuff. Not full size shed but same construction. It is certainly waterproof and if it was on a solid base yes I would say rodent proof. I would not buy another though and was glad I made my big shed from wood. The corners are a bit vulnerable to damage and you can't modify or add to them so easily as a wooden one. But it is functional and minimal maintenance.
  • FfoxgloveFfoxglove UkPosts: 516
    I bought this plastic and metal shed from palram 
    https://www.bmgardenbuildings.co.uk/6x3-palram-grey-skylight-shed
    it’s not the sturdiest - not sure I’d trust it in an exposed location - but it’s waterproof and keeps any rodents out. I’m really pleased with it, especially the double door opening. 

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,506
    We’ve also got the one in the pic above. Decent enough to store lawnmower etc. Waterproof so far. Can’t speak to the rat deterrent effectiveness as we’ve only had it since May but I’m sure they’d rather go to next door’s rotten wooden shed than this one….. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,862
    We’ve got a very large one,  also a big garage.  Seem to be good,  as good as the day they were built.   They are rat proof. 
    I’ll photo tomorrow. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 983
    I held back when I saw your original post, because I've never had a metal shed, but I have screwed roofing slates to the bottom of our shed door in an attempt to deter rats and mice.  The latter will squeeze through the tiniest gap under a door, which is the most vulnerable point and, even if the whole structure is rodent proof, it should be borne in mind that metal/plastic will always suffer from condensation on the inside as moisture in the atmosphere comes into contact with cold/cool surfaces where there's no air currents to disperse it.  I'd suggest a number of ventilation points, covered in fine metal mesh to keep the shed dry?
  • historymanhistoryman Posts: 119
    Thank you all for your input - Nick615 I take onboard what you say re condensation that is the one thing that I am concerned about - I will check out what is on sale perhaps there are some with vents etc.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,862
    Never had a condensation problem with ours, there are air gaps all the way round the roof but not big enough for rodents.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.