Forum home Plants

Suggested climbers for this spot

so I have this area with nothing in it presently which needs to be more interesting. 

It's 4 fence panels long,  unimproved clay soil beneath 3 of them. Grows good brambles.. The gap to the conservatory is about 2 feet. It is sheltered spot, North facing but gets decent reflected light. The fence is not ours but I can put support wires if needed. North West Devon.

What I need is some things of interest to grow in the space. It is the view of the garden from the living room too. It needs to be easily controllable, not too vigorous, not likely to destroy the fence panels and nice to look at all year round. Wildlife friendly is a bonus. Too long a wish list?

I need to maintain access for window cleaning and drain maintenance so nothing too thick and nothing that will be up the drain pipes if I blink.

I would be grateful for some suggestions please.

Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,817
    Clematis.  :)
    The early ones which don't like such rich soil and conditions as the larger flowering ones would be good. ALpinas and Macropetalas are particularly good.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • bcpathomebcpathome Posts: 1,301
    I can only think of clematis.A mixture of late and early to have something all year to look at .