Forum home Fruit & veg

Harvesting after a flash flood

We had a flash flood 6 weeks ago, with our garden under a foot of water for a couple of hours. We are unsure of what contaminants were in the water, so I've discarded everything that was directly in the ground (radish, spring onions etc), but I don't know about my tomatoes, runner beans and squashes. The fruits, such as were were back then, did not come into direct contact with the water as each plant is in a large pot. There seems to be conflicting views out there on whether these crops are safe to eat now that we are getting close to harvest time. It would be a shame to discard these as the tomatoes in particular look like they will be a bumper crop this year! If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be grateful.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,270
    If there was no heavy metal contamination of the water, and they didn't come in contact with the water, then I'd be quite happy to eat the tomatoes beans and squashes (well washed of course).  

If you've got tomatoes and no blight you're probably in a minority this year ... I've lost all mine ... so enjoy!  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hello, thanks for your reply. I will be washing everything thoroughly, but I guess what I should have added in the original post was whether there's a danger that contaminants are draw up into the plants and fruit through the roots. As a relative novice to growing, that's the bit I'm struggling to get an answer to.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,270
    No, that's not a problem, except with stuff like heavy metals which would be quite a rare occurrence anyway.

Plants don't transfer stuff they're growing in into the leaves and fruit in that way ... just think, we grow our wheat and barley and other crops, and our vegetables in land enriched with animal manure.
     :) 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• That's what I thought, but great to have your thoughts too! Sounds like the worst that would have happened in this case would have been some sewer leakage. So, not pleasant but with no contact with the fruit, should be OK.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,508
    edited August 2021
    I'm with dove here as well, anything that wasn't actually in the water should be fine. Though I probably would cook everything rather than eating it raw.
  • Thanks guys - pasta sauce rather than Caprese salad this year then!