Forum home Problem solving

Help with Cherry Blossom Tree

There is a cherry blossom tree in my garden, it leans to one side a bit and some bark is coming off the base, it looks like there’s sort of a crack . So I think it could be rot but I’m not really sure.. would trying to support the tree somehow do any good or any other advise about what to do about it?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    If you could upload a photo of the whole tree and one of the cracked area, it may help us to diagnose, but a splitting trunk is never a good thing on a tree, and if the lean has  recently started then it's probably not going to last much longer.  Ornamental cherries are a relatively short-lived tree and many varieties only live for about 25 years, with some only about 15.  Of course, some individual specimens can live much longer, but thought I'd mention it in case the bells are tolling so to speak. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    I'd agree with @BobTheGardener on this @persburn0_gTF62Px. I inherited one here and it had clearly not been well staked initially and was leaning,  and was also quite badly damaged at the base in exactly the way you describe. Had to come out - completely rotten.  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• If you could upload a photo of the whole tree and one of the cracked area, it may help us to diagnose, but a splitting trunk is never a good thing on a tree, and if the lean has  recently started then it's probably not going to last much longer.  Ornamental cherries are a relatively short-lived tree and many varieties only live for about 25 years, with some only about 15.  Of course, some individual specimens can live much longer, but thought I'd mention it in case the bells are tolling so to speak. :)
    Thanks for the replies and here is a picture of the base 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    The photo's aren't very clear, but from the top one I'd say it is indeed rotting and probably best removed.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.