Forum home Garden design

Connecting my garden to the house...

Morning...new to this but after some inspiration /help / advice...we moved into our house 2 years ago and is hopefully going to be out forever home. The garden was the biggest challenge when we moved in as it was all different levels, lots of flower beds / rockeries. The grass wasnt growing well and there is a large out house in the garden that takes up a lot of space and limits what we can do.

So we flattened out the areas we could, built in a bit of a flower bed area and laid artificial grass for the kids and dogs to enjoy, we added a little bit of a dining area but just a quick fix until we decided what was next and make it useable for the first summer.

The bit that really bothers me is the decking area. From the kitchen we have a lovely large decked area, it lovely as the views are great and nice to have off the kitchen, however this is raised about 6-7 foot from the garden side and the steps into the garden I feel are in the wrong place. They are at the side of the house and the decking to the garden just feels so far away, if I'm in the kitchen and kids / friends are in the garden it feels very unconnected and seems a long way round to access (its not that far but you can see from images) I just want some ideas on how these areas can work better together, I've spent ages googling /Pinterest /Instagram searching talking to friends / family but I don't seem to be having that light bulb moment...no pressure but hoping it may come from here.... :) The decking does need updating. whether this is in composite or similar. The balustrades / trellis also need replacing. Thinking more of a glass option...any ideas however obscure are welcome at this stage...

Added a couple of images to hopefully give a better understanding.

Thanks in advance.... :)

Ive added the before image first so you can see what we were working with and what we have done so far. The view too from the decking so you can see why we don' t want to lose it altogether.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,701
    I suppose the ideal solution would be to have some new steps built down from the deck to where the slate area is. Or maybe if you're up for a bigger job and there's enough space, have an intermediate level of decking built, but that would leave you with a dark space underneath and it doesn't really look as if you need any more shed/storage space.
  • nictevnictev Posts: 4
    Thank you for the reply...i just didnt know if adding steps from the front would make the steps steep or take away too much of the garden...i thought about a split level in the decking too..maybe add some more thought to this. Dont really need anymore storage to be honest. 

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,976
    edited August 2021
    I agree with Jenny J about a split level. You could have the steps off to the side(s) rather than projecting straight out into the garden, which will keep it more compact.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,701
    How deep is the overhang, and is it just deck or is it part of the structure of the building? If it's just deck, maybe you could remove enough to make room for a sideways staircase alongside the brick wall, which might feel safer than one extending out into the garden as well as taking up less space.

The only house I've visited that was similar to that, built on a steep slope, had access to the garden from the lower floor of the house and an internal staircase - it was kind of a cellar at the front of the house but ground level with a door and windows at the back, so not the same as yours.
  • nictevnictev Posts: 4
    Quite like the idea of that split level! Hadn't thought about it like that... the over hang is about 2 foot id say! the stairs at the moment are under the kitchen window. 4/5 steep concrete ugly steps. then hits a bit of a paved path to the side where the washing line is. Not ideal. 
    Liking the ideas though thankyou!  :)

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,976
    My sister's house is very similar to yours, they just have a very narrow deck and steps going parallel to the house, however I don't think the connection to the garden is very good. (They have downstairs bedrooms which doesn't help either!)
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,049
    I’d want one of those chutes they deploy on planes after an emergency landing!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,314
    BenCotto said:
    I’d want one of those chutes they deploy on planes after an emergency landing!
    or a firemen's pole?
    Devon.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,327
    Sideways steps to a mid level, as Loxley's sketch and then broader straight steps onto the grass bit, with pots and climbers or the like so that the lower steps feel like part of the garden rather than only access to it?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Filthy mind,  @Hostafan1
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.