Forum home Problem solving

Tomato Leaves Mottled Yellow/Green

I have just noticed my tomatoes which are gown outdoors have the lower leaves turning a mottled yellow pattern. I have different varieties growing all bought from Dobbies. I have fed them 3 times this year, twice with Miracle grow organic and a few days ago with Tomrite. Looking at the forums it looks like a magnesium deficiency but on seeing them I swiftly removed the offending leaves just in case. They are watered with tap water mostly in the evening so the water which as been standing all day in buckets can warm up but sometimes have to use straight from the tap. Some of the varieties such as Roma are quite heavy cropping and am hopeful the fruit can still be edible and safe. Hopefully someone can kindly shed some light on the problem which would be much appreciated

• At this time of year I wouldn't worry unduly - in fact I wouldn't worry at all. Keep them well watered - with rainwater if possible and fed, maybe once a week and they should be fine. 
    You can start to remove a few lower leaves now so the fruit get maximum light. 
  • Willow99Willow99 Posts: 20
    thanks, what do you think the problem is? If it is magnesium deficiency won’t feeding them make the problem worse?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    It's pretty normal for lower leaves to look dire as the season goes on.
    You can remove those lower leaves - they've done their job and the plants no longer need them.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Some of the leaves were half way up the plant, is it a good idea to remove any others that appear wherever they are just in case it is a viral problem and not a deficiency. Are the tomatoes safe to eat in either case?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    Perfectly safe to eat.  :)
    Apart from any spent, completely yellow stuff, I only remove foliage that's really in the way, especially as I have to grow undercover, and I only have a small grow house. Having a good airflow is important. Once the fruits are set [as yours seem to be doing] the foliage isn't so important to the plants    :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,059
    I agree - nothing wrong with them.
    Leaves toward the top of the plant are full of youthful vigour and provide more energy for the plant.
    The older leaves are wearing out, so the plant directs its resources to the newer leaves and the older ones slowly die back.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Thanks, much appreciated and very reassuring as I had blight last year that wiped everything out.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,059
    edited August 2021
    You've done well to avoid it this year for outside plants.
    Keep an eye out for black bruises on the main stem or leaf stems - that's a sure sign
    Good luck! :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.