Forum home Problem solving

Ivy Dying

Hi, I have a problem with the ivy on my wall. Its between my garden and the neighbours The neighbour has artificial grass. My ivy seems to be dying  the ivy has been there for years and the wall is 8 feet tall and stretches right long the 40 foot long wall. The wall gets the sun from midday on wards I can't understand why its suddenly dying! Can you help please Thank you

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,310
    Hi :) ... where is/are the roots of the ivy?

It might help us to work out what's going on if you could post some photos. 

To post photos Click on the the little 'landscape picture' icon and follow the instructions.  If your photo doesn't appear or is tipped on it's side, reducing the size usually sorts it out. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    It's quite hard to kill ivy. Is there a chance someone's been applying weedkiller?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    If some of the ivy is actually growing from the neighbour's side and they've cut it down on their side, that would cause those plants to die off. Weedkiller applied to the ivy growing on the neighbour's side of the wall would do it too, but in my experience it takes repeated applications  to have much of an impact.
  • This was taken today. Ivy is mine and no weed killer has been near it. In the same flower bed as roses, weigela, and other plants and they are all doing well
    Is it just that wee bit? 

• No its all over the wall and its a big wall.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,310
    Can we see the whole plant please … and where the main stems and roots are? 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• There are a lot of old broken ivy stems visible in the picture. Looks like someone or something broke off the ivy sometime ago which has caused the leaves to die off. 
    When I'm trimming or renovating any area next to ivy, any stems that get caught up, and broken, die right back, which is what @Igrowfromseed is describing, and is typical of the area you're showing. Not all ivies are 100% hardy either [although that's mainly some of the variegated ones ] so in very severe weather, they can suffer - new growth at the ends gets damaged, and causes that die back. I have a Gloire de Marengo which has taken a bit of a beating this winter, and had a lot of damage, but it's recovered well, as most ivy does.  :)
    Bear in mind that it will probably also have 'travelled' next door, so if they cut anything back, it'll die right back down the stem. 
    I don't think there's any disease there- or if there is , it's not visible in the photo. The most common thing ivy suffers from is leaf spot, and there doesn't seem to be any damage of that kind there.