Forum home The potting shed

Great Big Green Week

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    My hubby had made flowers/plant supports from old car parts
     He broke my Rennie Mackintosh mirror,set the pieces in collected driftwood to make garden features. I've seen a washing machine door made into a mini pond
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    The drum from a washing machine can be utilised for planting. Obviously, as it's metal, you need to be careful how it's used, but I did that many years ago.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,048
    The threads from the old fashioned mops used by caretakers - the ones got up to look like puli dogs - make excellent plant ties.

My problem is not knowing any janitors so I buy my mop heads on the market for about £2.50. 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,869
    The thin cotton string used to sew up bags of bird food unravel (if you can find the right end), and are very strong.  Used here for many garden purposes including hanging old CDs above the veg to scare the magpies, and yesterday, for sewing together two pieces of butterfly net to cover the broccoli.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Our old tent frame became the support for our chinese gooseberry plants.
    Old pallets were remade into "fencing" down a path.
    Old wire horse drier is used in the polytunnel to support...cucumbers, cucamleons and melons.
    Shelving from a disused fridge (collected by the council many years ago) are used to separate different plants in the polytunnel and the veg patch.
    What's a horse dryer,is that a giant size one of the things they use at the Doggy  grooming Parlour, must be enormous
  • I think it's meant to be 'clothes horse'.
    Southampton 
  • @Nanny Beach Sorry no idea why I wrote horse drier....should have been clothes drier!
    Well,I'm disappointed,I wanted to see the horse bring dried!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    I thought it might have a [horse] rug drier.
    We sometimes used hairdryers on the show ponies.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....