Forum home Problem solving

HELP! What can I do with this ugly wall!

edited August 2021 in Problem solving
Just moved into our first terraced home. What can I do to this wall to make it more presentable.

we only have access through the house so knocking it down would be a massive job.

is there a way I can level it off without having too much waste? Create like a step wall?
or any suggestions please help

• seacrowsseacrows Posts: 211
    Honestly, I'd be more worried about what was keeping that collection of bricks and slate in place rather than making it look good. You probably need to have a word with your neighbour as to whether it was a jointly owned wall and what they'd accept in terms of rebuilding. There are so many legal issues you can avoid if you are friends with the neighbour (liability, responsibility for soil retention, drainage, boundary lines etc.). To me, that picture looks like a flood has knocked down an existing wall and dumped it in your garden. The previous owner (I assume) has then stacked the rocks up to stop the rest of that garden following.

You could step it down in terraces, so individual flat strips of garden BUT do you want to carry half a tonne of soil through the house. It would certainly put me off.

If you're happy with its stability, there look to be plenty of gaps you could plant trailing/alpine type plants in. You could try to imitate those vertical green walls that are so fashionable right now.

Good luck.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907
    My first thought was to stuff it full of campanula and a mix of evergreen type things and perennial flowers or self seeders.  The other part of the wild wall I would plant some nice thornless blackberries.  They will cover it pretty quickly, and giving you a yummy treat in late summer.  The variety I grow is often has berries as big as my thumb.. and sweet as candy.  Domesticated bramble patch by summer, and folley by winter.  They require a bit of pruning every spring, but you could just leave them to go wild.  Everywhere the tips touch down they root.   

Utah, USA.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    I think I'd want a new wall put in there @poultonj14-C20kxha - either that all removed first, or one put in place and back filled to contain all that. I can't see how that will ever be secure judging by the photos. 
    Perhaps worth getting someone in to look at it and advise on the best solution?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks everyone for your help. I’ll get someone in to come and see what’s the best!
  • look into your deeds and see who owns it.pay a good builder to fix it.do it once then you won't be thinking in years to come I wish we'd have spent the money then instead of trying to patch it up every year.
    buy once
    cry once!!