Forum home Plants

What would you plant here?

AstraeusAstraeus Posts: 335
edited August 2021 in Plants
Our garden redesign is going well and it's time to start to think about some planting. We've got this space, which is in effect a raised bed at the level of the patio and alongside the steps. It is south-facing and around 1.5m x 0.75m.

I had wondered about planting an intermedia lavender, perhaps Grosso, and underplanting with a creeping thyme, perhaps Archers Gold. They would give scent as the steps were used and would flow over the top of the walling nicely. However I'm also tempted to try to get some height against nextdoor's wall (the gap!) and did wonder about putting a cornus in the spot. More decorative but less fragrant and less wildlife-friendly than the lavender option.

Given this space, what would you do?

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 5,253
    I would be tempted to put a trellis up and have some climbing plants going up and then some trailing ones to spill over the wall. The climbers could be Clematis, Jasmines or a Rose. Whatever you choose, make sure the soil is full of organic matter and as it’s south facing with a wall, it will be a dry spot. 

I’m sire plenty of ideas will be posted. Have fun choosing. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Tanty2Tanty2 Posts: 221
    What about a Choisya Ternata Sundance?  it grows slow-medium so is easy to keep to size.  It has shallow roots, is evergreen, the leaves and wee white flowers are orange scented, it likes most soil and most light levels.  Bulbs will grow up through it (I have very tall tree lilies and very tall alliums growing up through mine) and it's the cheeriest thing on earth in the dead of winter. Against a wall it'll grow up and out, in open space it'll form a round mound.  It requires precisely no maintenance whatsoever :)
  • AstraeusAstraeus Posts: 335
    Thanks both.

I had pondered about trailers, possibly an aubretia and a campanula to prolong the season. But I wasn't then sure whether a large shrub, akin to the cornus, might make a nice statement. Could the trailers be underplanted beneath something larger, e.g. the lavender? I've got a bed on the other side which is similar so I might aim for some symmetry between them too and I do like the idea of fragrant plants being brushed past as one walks up the steps.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,754
    I think I'd go for a climber there, and you could certainly add a few things to trail over the edge depending on the choice you make.  :)
    Is the soil going to be all the way down the area? The better the soil content, the better anything will thrive, but for some plants it wouldn't be necessary, so less expense  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    I like the idea of Lavender and herbs as they are low maintenance and happy in less nutritious soil with infrequent watering. I planted trailing rosemary, thyme, chives & oregano in a pot back in may and its doing just fine and great for cooking with fresh herbs.