Forum home Problem solving

SNOWY MESPRIL PROBLEM

The tree was already in the garden when we moved in at least 25yrs ago and it's been beautiful.  This last couple of years it seems to be struggling.  There were quite a few dead branches, we have removed, the branches are covered with a kind of moss and the leaves have gone a really pale green. and there was a fungus growing at the base which we have removed.  Are we losing the tree or is there something we can do to save it.  SNOWY MESPRIL.  

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    Would need a photo. The moss will probably just be lichen. 
    Do you mean a snowy mespilus - ie Amelanchier? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you for replying, I believe its a Snowy mespilus.  I will try to get a picture asap. x
    If it's damaged at the base, and bits are dying off, it may well be on the way out, but a photo will help  :)

• This is what I think is a Snowy Mispril, covered in white flowers in spring followed by berries. There were hardly any flowers this year and we have taken out quite a lot of dead branches.  We also removed large funghi at the the base of the tree.  i was asked for pictures to see if they could advise.  i would be sad to lose this tree so if you can help i would really appreciate it. xxx 

I've turned one pic, but I can't see the damage you mentioned at the base- without close ups , it's difficult to be accurate about advice. The fungi may well have been completely harmless and removing it could have caused further damage. However, Amelanchiers  [snowy mespilus]  can get honey fungus, and if it was that, there's nothing you can do. 

It may have benefited from some careful pruning in the past, but it may also just be 'done'.