Forum home Plants

Heuchera question

124»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,680
    Solar Eclipse is very good. Grows well and changes colour through the season too, depending on the aspect as well   :)
    They need to be well watered to perform @gondor. A good moisture retentive soil is the best for them. Impossible to overwater them too. You can virtually grow many of them in water. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• fizzylizfizzyliz Posts: 211
    @Fairygirl and @TheGreenMan thank you! And thanks for sharing your heuchera propagating success, I said wow when I saw how big it grew! Awesome! Lovely colours that cherry cola and the solar eclipse… I’ve written them down 😋 aw I like heuchera! 😀
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 594
    I must be the only one who has problems growing heuchera. I tried one in the border and it didn’t come back the next year so I presume slugs got to it. Pity because I do like the flowers.
    Vine weevil love them - maybe you've had an attack @Ilikeplants?
    More prevalent in pots though. In the ground they shrug them off more readily.
    I don't find slugs bother them much, and we have no shortage of them. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,116
    edited 12 September
    When they survive winter, it usually in various states of tattiness.  If they are dying back to the ground (terminal in my experience), there's something else going on - maybe they don't like something about the soil conditions there, or vine weevil as @Fairygirl suggests, especially if your soil is on the lighter side.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 448
    I have several different heuchera and they are all evergreen. Is it possible that you cut them back in autumn and left the roots too exposed to frost?  I would imagine that the leaves provide some protection. 
    They're more likely to fail in hot dry weather, or in dry, light soil. Cold/wet/freezing conditions don't affect them in any way.  :)

• IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 594
    I’m not quite sure. Maybe I’ll try them again one day. I like plants that come back.