Forum home Plants

Heuchera question

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327
    There are hundreds of varieties, and the Tiarellas and Heucherellas are just as easy. 
    Some flower more profusely than others. Almost indestructible. 
    Have a go at propagating them - they're the easiest plants in the world to do. Tear a bit off, put in a pot and water. That's it.  :)
    Just keep an eye out for vine weevil - they love them. The ones in pots are more susceptible. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• fizzylizfizzyliz Posts: 213
    @Nanny Beach sounds fab! And that’s great to know 😊 thank you!
    @Fairygirl ooooh I will look those up! 
    And I think you’ve inspired me to have a go at propagating 😁 might sound a strange question but do I need to pull off some of the roots too? 
    Ah vine weevil…. hmmmm I wonder if that was what was on the top branches of my clematis that I blasted off with a hose pipe…. Interesting…. X
    You only need a piece of plant with some viable stem and root. They're often quite woody and tuberous.  Even small pieces will take. You can stick them in water to keep them hydrated, or just pop them into a small pot with some compost. Tuck them somewhere shaded and by spring you'll have a viable plant for the garden. 
    I think @TheGreenMan has done it now, after explaining how to do it a while ago.  :)

@Fairygirl awesome thanks! Will have a go 😀 and see if I can let you know how it goes x
    It's really very easy, and it will give you the confidence to try other things too. It's how we all learn.  :)
    When things don't work, it's important to know why, so it's also worth keeping some notes for your future reference, although sometimes - plants can fail for no obvious reason. All part of the process  :)

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne and Wear Green Belt Posts: 866
    Yes I did it after some very helpful guidance from @Fairygirl last year. 

Dead easy. I’ll dig out my pics tomorrow and show you what I did (as a novice) and Fairygirl can chip in with her expertise 👍🏼❤️
  • gondorgondor Posts: 117
    What lovely heuchera you all have. I am envious. I mulched my shady border with the heuchera last year but they just haven't grown to the size or look as healthy as all your pictures. I think I'll have to remove everything in spring and dig over the soil adding lost of compost. It must be compacted or something.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,560
    Thanks for the tip about cutting back the flowers for re-growth. I have started that, and ordered more Choc Ruffles; they are going the most wonderful array of reds.
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne and Wear Green Belt Posts: 866
    The original discussion may help:

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1044939/is-my-heuchera-cherry-cola-now-2-plants/p1

I got some Heucherella Solar Eclipse recently to go with some of the bronze grasses for an autumnal feel. Very pretty they are.