Forum home Plants

Heuchera question

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327
    I never feed them, unless they happen to get some benefit from the BF&B that might get sprinkled in a border in spring. They're pretty self sufficient plants.  :)
    Just cut off old stems when they're spent. The amount of extra flushes of flowers you get depends on the type and your conditions - as with most plants. 
    Easy to propagate too. Just pull off pieces and pot up. You can also stick them in water to form roots if the pieces are a bit bare. Some of them will virtually live in water.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,529

These are the flowers on my Chocolate Ruffles. I only cut off the odd untidy one now and again. It has never stopped growing and is massive in comparison to my other heucheras and I do have quite a few! Never had any feed or tic. Just does its own thing. Bees love it.  :)
  • fizzylizfizzyliz Posts: 213
    @Fran IOM yours is superb!! Lovely 🤩 thanks for your comments - appreciated!
    Thank you again @Fairygirl, you’re very helpful! Didn’t know I could pull bits off and propagate! Nice! 😃
    Update: they have some more flowers! Thank you 😊
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne and Wear Green Belt Posts: 866
    Yay! 

I pushed my luck and cut them all off just after I posted last time. I’ve got two new ones since. I love them. 

I also bought this new one six weeks ago. It’s up against the french doors and gets not a drop of sunshine…. 

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,146
    H. 'Chocolate Ruffles' are definitely the most vigorous of all my heucheras. I keep pulling them out and giving away around me. They can look quite different at different times of the year, see pics on my garden site.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,560
    I am loving the changing leaf tones of Chocolate Ruffles - into oranges and plums.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,154
    Yay! 

I pushed my luck and cut them all off just after I posted last time. I’ve got two new ones since. I love them. 

I also bought this new one six weeks ago. It’s up against the french doors and gets not a drop of sunshine…. 

The yellow ones always do better in shade and are prolific flowerers.  "Marmalade" is one of my favourites.
    edited 4 September
    @TheGreenMan that looks great!! Very full! @philippasmith2 ah I didn’t know the green/yellow ones did better than other in shade! That would explain why there’s doing better than my dark ones on a north facing wall 😊 although it’s the dark ones that have flowered most!

As I’m very new to all this gardening, I am liking the heuchera 😊 they seem very self-sufficient (and quite hardy (at the moment - hehe!) - lovely plants! 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,062
    edited 4 September
    The lighter coloured do better in the shade,but I find they all do better in semi shade,I've got one that throws out 2foot tall bright pink flowers,can't remember the blasted name,label has blown off.They are all in the ground,never fed