Forum home Garden design

Do I have enough space for a Cornus controversa 'Variegata'?

RubyRossRubyRoss Dublin, IrelandPosts: 104
edited August 2021 in Garden design
I would like to put in a Cornus controversa 'Variegata' at the front of the house to look striking and offer dappled shade. But I'm not sure if I have enough room for it because I've seen varying dimensions for max height and spread.

The space is 7m across and 6m from wall to footpath. I'm not committed to anything that's there already so happy to just have one striking tree.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    They also get big vertically. I'm not sure it's the best choice for that space   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,554
    I agree, it will get far to wide and tall.

What you have there is already very attractive and not big on maintenance so it would be a shame to rip it all out and it couldn't stay because it will all provide too much competition for a young tree trying to get established.   Nor would those plants be happy shaded by a tree.

Why do you want shade?  For the front room?  For the path?  You could erect a trellis panel or two along the house edge of the beds and grow a climber up them to give shade and privacy.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Far too big for the space,gets to 50 feet.
  • RubyRossRubyRoss Dublin, IrelandPosts: 104
    Thanks all, that's what I expected unfortunately. I want a some dappled shade because the sunlight is intense in front rooms in the morning and early afternoon. And I'd like something tall or tall-ish because there's an open green in front of us so everything is flat. I had also thought about a camellia but it wouldn't like the morning sun and an acer but there's no shelter for it
    No,neither a camellia or Acer would last in full sun. What about out one of the budlias
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,558
    It looks like you have some telephone or electricity wires coming into the house so you ought not to have anything that will grow tall enough to interfere with those. Personally I would solve the problems by having blinds on the insides of the windows. Your existing garden looks very nice as it is!
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,391
    If you really want a tree then have a look at Amelanchier.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    Amelanchier lamarckii or good old Rowan. Light canopies. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,043
    50’ would be a whopper. This cornus is a slow growing tree and mine, put in 28 years ago, is currently 2.6 x 4.8 metres (8’ high, 16’ wide).
    Blinds here in our south facing front garden,metal "vision" blinds you can open them,but when they are closed you can see out but not in.