Forum home Fruit & veg

Strange localised sudden tomato plant loss

My parents outdoor tomato plants were healthy and fruiting but died suddenly overnight.  The strange thing is the same happened to their friends' plants who lives about half a mile away and to all his neighbours plants too.  The night they died was rainy and windy but we had the same sort of weather in Folkestone as they did in Ashford and my plants are fine.  Very weird. Does anyone have any ideas?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,093
    It's tomato blight I'm afraid.
    I think most tomatoes grown outside this year have succumbed :(
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,914
    I'm afraid it's blight. It's very quickly spread, warm wet conditions. Only way to prevent is growing in green house or blight resistance varieties
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    I've lost count of the number of threads this year about blight.  :/

You can still remove the fruits and bring them inside to ripen. Destroy all the rest. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,206
    Even the outside tomatoes in SW France died from blight this year. My son's died and so did mine. It's been so cold and wet. They usually survive in a greenhouse but I don't have one at my new house.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Thank you for the replies. I guess it all happened at the same time because it was very wet. I didn't realise blight could literally kill the plant overnight. They do at least have some more tomatoes in a greenhouse which as suggested were fine.  Unpredictable stuff this veg gardening!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    It's a real shame. Just be aware that the spores can remain in the soil, so good husbandry is needed. As they're in growbags, that isn't a problem at all, but the surrounding area could be affected. Would be worthwhile growing in a different site next year, so perhaps check with your parents about that  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,484
    They aren't entirely safe in the greenhouse either but it is just bad luck if your tomatoes catch it. There is nothing much you can do to prevent it and experienced growers as well as first timers have suffered this year.
  • Had the same problem. Two plants died then  dew days later they were all dead