Forum home Plants

Potted chrysanthemum from M&S

I’ve been given one but the label got lost. Is this an indoor or outdoor plant? How do I look after it? Will it keep flowering? Thanks 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,754
    If you have an M&S nearby, you could always go and see if they have any more that match, and have a read of the label  ;)
    Some of them are hardy, but if it isn't, you could always take cuttings, and then you'd have back up if it isn't hardy, or you could keep it inside over winter and still do cuttings.  Not something I've done on those, but it should be fairly straightforward. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    edited August 2021
    Over the years I occasionally buy one or get given one - usually from Waitrose, so probably a similar plant.
    Once they've finished flowering indoors I plant them in the garden.
    There's usually 3-5 plants in the pot, so they can be teased apart and planted out.
    They soon make a nice clump.
    I planted some out about 6-7 years ago. I can just see the tiny flower buds starting to form on them.
    They've done well for the past few years , but they're looking rather puny this year.

This was them in 2017 - (I took the pic when there was an eclipse on 16/10/2017 - hence the weird colours!)

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks @Fairygirl and @Pete.8 - impressive clump there too. I don’t think m&s has anymore of them, they were all reduced for quick sale apparently.

I’ll do that this year, indoors and cuttings and see how they fare but ideally would love them in the garden.
  • bcpathomebcpathome Posts: 1,299
    I was given a pink one about 5 years ago and when it started fading away I stuck it in a pot outside. It still booms every year .You could try that just keep it a bit sheltered you may be lucky .
  • Thanks @bcpathome, probably will keep it in its pot and see how it goes.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,715
    Ours are just coming into flower now. They go in pots,when they've Finnished,I give them a hair cut,stick them away where they can't be seen,and repot the following spring.
  • Thanks @Nanny Beach I’ll try to keep it going - I have the big head mad looking one called Star burst. Can see some little buds but not sure if they will still grow.