Forum home Plants

Acers

Dig2006Dig2006 Posts: 51
Hi is it possible to take cuttings from Acer trees? Cant find info on this. Never taken cuttings before of any plants, but would like to do this for some acer trees? Any help appreciated.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,155
    You can, but it's not really the main method of propagating. Some of the more vigorous varieties are fine, but many don't take well. Those are usually grafted. 
    I think it's a bit late for cuttings - it's spring for them normally, when you can get softwood ones.
    You can also grow from seed, but, as with many plants, they won't always come true. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,756
    I have see air cuttings being done on Acers, but haven't tried it myself.  You can buy special plastic balls for doing this, and it looks relatively simple, and apparently has a good success rate.  It's probably too late to try that technique now, as it is best done when the plant is in full growth mode in Spring.

I think you can layer them the conventional way too @KeenOnGreen, but not something I've ever tried. 

• ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,070
    One of our biggish acers died last year. I looked around in the lawn beneath it, and dug up about half a dozen seedlings, which I have put in pots. I’ll be interested to see whether they will survive and grow. There are at least 6 other acers in the garden, but I have never seen any seedlings growing under the others. At least three of those are grafted on different root stock.
  • Dig2006Dig2006 Posts: 51
    ok so it sounds like its not easy. no idea what most of the suggestions mean. thanks anyway
    Taking cuttings is relatively easy, but it's like anything else - it just needs some practice.
    I'd start by doing something more simple than an Acer, like perennials, and when you get the hang of it, you can experiment with other shrubs.

It's also worth just doing a bit of research into the various terms if you aren't familiar with them. The RHS has plenty of info if you Google it.  :)

• Dig2006 said:
    ok so it sounds like its not easy. no idea what most of the suggestions mean. thanks anyway
    Air layering is fairly straight forward but on an Acer might be a bit hit-n-miss and can take quite a while.
    As your a novice gardener I'd suggest buying a small tree which are often quite cheap.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy Posts: 5,979
    As your a novice gardener I'd suggest buying a small tree which are often quite cheap.
    I agree,  buy a small one,  they grow quite quickly in the early years.  
    AB Still learning