Forum home The potting shed

North facing terraced cottage garden

124»

• jw89jw89 Posts: 48
    One issue I will eventually need to sort a solution for is the boundary. Understandably the old owner / neighbours like the fences low 1, because why would you want to block the view? And 2, because it’s a very open / high site so I think it gets very windy and they mentioned not being able to have high fences due to that I believe. I am not a huge fan of the fence tho and love growing tall flowers and plants like foxgloves, climbing roses, hollyhocks etc which normally need some shelter from the wind … hm … Will need to work out how I can still grow these 🧐
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I don’t think we will have any developments built round us *touch wood*, it’s too far out of the town and on a single track road (will be fun in winter 😳). I hope not anyway

I would say that this is worth checking and keeping an eye on. The govt has signalled a serious relaxing of planning rules and is snapping up green belt space for development.

Native hedges can be great at as a wild block and a boon for wildlife. Winter is the time for bareroot buying and planting (v cheap in bulk from the right suppliers) if you choose to go that way.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,058
    Great that you got it. Good luck with it all  :)
    As @Fire says, just having the aspect can be misleading, because it's what else is there that can  determine just how much sun or shade there is. My back garden is predominantly south facing, but if I planted a large tree in the middle, that would seriously affect many of the plants there just now. 

I believe @jw89 is still in Scotland, so the UK's planning rules won't necessarily affect us, although planning decisions sometimes leave a lot to be desired .  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....