Forum home The potting shed

North facing terraced cottage garden

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Our north facing back,of course the sides are then east where the sun comes up to the west The 6 o clock was a rough estimate. In summer it's still sunny much later,but we have a conservatory so the sun is in there. We have shrubs and trees providing shade. I would go and look at different times of the day.
    In the evening when the sun has gone round to the west I can sit by the veg plot at the bottom of the garden. Next door had huge fir trees,which then block the sun,but your site is open
  • jw89jw89 Posts: 48
    Unfortunately the market is very very quick at the moment where we are and the forecast is for rain for the foreseeable. I wish I could see it on a sunny day but not going to happen. So basically most people’s thoughts are, as it’s fairly open and no houses etc at the back or sides and the house isn’t particularly tall (story and half) we should get the sun most of the day at some part of the garden is this right? I have this app that shows the sun but then it’s still hard to tell what might shade it and if it reaches over the house etc. It might not seem like a big deal to some people but I love the sun lol so it is to me 😊

How big is the garden width and depth?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,925
    From the original pix - it's a good size  :)
    I'm struggling to see where it is in your photo with the compass. Just not clear enough.
    I'd say you really don't have to worry - it's plenty big enough to get various sunny spots at different times of day. 
    My front garden is north north west facing. Nothing very near to the west of it, as I'm next to the road, so it gets sun down that side and at the far end [furthest from the house]  from midday onwards, until the sun sets in behind the other houses and trees across the road. It's a lot smaller than you plot  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

@Fairygirl marked it out in blue our “plot” lol. We made an offer today so just waiting to hear back… 😬 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,925
    Good stuff. Fingers crossed for you   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thank you so much for all the reply’s. Super happy to say we got the house so I will have a big garden project coming up in the next year which I’m sure I will need lots of help with. The gentleman selling the house very kindly let us back up to have another look and luckily between the showers I managed to catch how the sun would fall over the garden. This was at 8pm and glad to see still loads of sun on garden. I definitely feel better about it now And excited to have a whole new garden to design 🌸🌾🌻🌱🌳 

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited August 2021
    "South facing" is a bit of a misleading idea, I think, as it's the thing shading that's the question, not the space that's getting shaded. An open, flat field with nothing around it gets as much sun on the north side as the south (?)

I have a pretty long north facing garden and my roof height is the decisive factor. The sun doesn't clear the terrace roof in the winter but the north end of the garden gets 'full sun' from spring to autumn equinoxes.

It looks like an amazing garden. I hope you don't have a load of building going on anywhere near you in the future.
    @Fire yeah your totally right. Obviously in the winter the sun is lower so will have to wait to see how it is then but I suppose I won’t be sitting out in the garden much then so won’t be too bothered hopefully. I don’t think we will have any developments built round us *touch wood*, it’s too far out of the town and on a single track road (will be fun in winter 😳). I hope not anyway, it’s one of the reasons we moved because we used to be at the edge of our town with fields just beyond our street but hundreds of new houses being built on the farmland and even more of the land for sale to developers now so will be soon surrounded by new builds 😕.