Forum home The potting shed

North facing terraced cottage garden

• jw89jw89 Posts: 48
    @Fairygirl I’m a bit of a sun lover myself tho so I like to sit in the sun. We don’t get that much in Scotland so I like to make the most of it when we get it. It would really bother me if the sun disappeared at 6pm and we completely missed it each day
    @Busy-Lizzie thank you. Don’t no why all my pictures upload sideways 😬 it’s a good size which I knew would help with the sun and little blocking it so that’s good too. Thanks 
    @Nanny Beach  we often won’t be home from work till 5/6pm so would that mean we will miss it? 😬 I would really hate to never get the sun in the garden when we are actually home lol
    @Loxley thank you, yes I think it would just be a case of figuring out the sun and where best to have the seating areas. Properly lucky it’s a blank canvas so we can do it all properly and make the most of it. I would just hate to never get the sun to enjoy in the garden as we really love it when we get it. I very rarely sit in the shade in our garden at the moment. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,925
    It's a big area - so you won't have shade all day. Loads of variety   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,734
    @jw89 We get the sun until about 7/8pm in Summer, but that's only in the upper terrace, and at the Eastern side of the garden.  We have put in enough trees and large shrubs to give us some shade throughout the day.  We also have arbours and pergola's, to offer shade during even the hottest part of any day.

A lot of gardeners worry about too much shade, personally we find too much sun is the problem.

I agree totally @KeenOnGreen. Shady gardens aren't the problem many people think they are, in terms of plants anyway. 
    I could do with more shade in my back garden as I find the heat very difficult, and if the recent record breaking July is going to become more regular, I'll need a parasol if nothing else!

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,010
    We have a NNE facing patio. At least we don't need to worry about a parasol!  
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    I can't sit out in it anyway @B3. I'm happiest in the sun when it's cool enough that you need another light layer on over a top   ;)

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,655
    As the front is south-facing, there's nothing to stop you sitting there in the evening with a glass of something, watching the world go by.