Forum home Garden design

Where to visit between Reading & Glasgow

dangermousiedangermousie BerkshirePosts: 214
Hello! We're driving from Reading to Glasgow and looking for nice gardens to visit along the way that don't take us off route. Any ideas?

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,673
    Depends on your route.
    Brodsworth Hall is close to the A1, so is Clumber Park. 
    Not far off the M1 there's Renishaw Hall, Felley Priory, Wentworth Castle, Hardwick Hall, Wentworth Historic Gardens. 
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    Which route and how many stops? The fastest normal route would be the M40, M6, M74. That would usually be a one day trip but stopping for garden visits could make that at least a 3 day trip.
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,613
    Alnwick Gardens, Cragside, Hardwick Hall… depending on your route of course. Assuming you’ll end up on the A1 then they are all en route just before you leave England. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,998
    As @steephill  says, that's the conventional route, but it depends on how much stopping you're doing. 
    Anything in Cumbria is worth a look. I love Levens Hall [Kendal] 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• dangermousiedangermousie BerkshirePosts: 214
    Thanks all, were overnighting in the lake District and would only do one or two time permitting. We're taking the most direct route :)
  • dangermousiedangermousie BerkshirePosts: 214
    Regarding the route, looks like it will be the Carlisle, Preston, Oxford way. Thanks!
  • bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 752
    If you’re going Oxford way try Waterperry Gardens on the way or on the way back 
  • SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 379
    Tatton Park. I’ve never been before so no idea if it’s any good. It is on your way. 

If you like fairies and sculptures, there’s Trentham Gardens near Stoke on Trent. I don’t really remember much about the gardens as I was too busy admiring the sculptures and catching Pokemon. 
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,242
    Party composition?  Alton Towers?