Forum home Problem solving

Struggling Photinia - help needed

robbiedonnellyrobbiedonnelly Posts: 3
edited August 2021 in Problem solving
Hi all,

New to the forum and in need of some help/advice on how to re-juvinate a mature photinia that's gone very bare.

I inherited a garden with a pair and up until now (4years later) they've been absolutely fine and growing nicely (I'd guess their 10/15+years old) with minimal upkeep and pruning needed. 

However this winter, one lost a lot of leaves quite rapidly.. which I figured was just due to cold/frost only and that they'd come back over spring. But instead it has slowly ebbed away and is now very sparse and bare, with no new growth occurring. The other is absolutely fine. 

I've tried to bring it back to life with a recent drop of fertilizer & bark mulch to its base, have sprayed with fungiside (though the remaining leaves don't have any of the dreaded black spots..) removed/pruned any of the fully dead leaves/branches, given some hedge plant food and cleared out any of the dead leaves (in case the ones lost were infected with Entomosporium).

Is there anything else I can do between now and next Spring (apart from maybe some further pruning and more fertiliser) to hopefully get it back to life?

Some photos attached if helpful.

Thanks,
Rob

• Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I don't grow Photinia, but the one thing I notice about the struggling one is that it is in front of a wall (sorry, I can't tell if the other one is also beside the wall). However, I wonder if it is suffering from lack of water? maybe it is worth watering it really generously (regardless of rain) and see of that helps? We had some real drought-like weather in spring that may have caused some problems.

Other more expert than me might have other ideas.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,158
    I'm afraid they tend to be iffy a lot of the time. They need moisture, but they also need warmth, so unless you can provide that, they can often look very poor. 
    It's probably a combination of those things this year - cold etc. It may recover. Keep it watered in dry spells, but don't keep feeding it  - that's counter productive when a plant of any kind is struggling.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks so much for the advice Fairlygirl & Pianoplayer. Much appreciated. 

It may have suffered from lack of moisture during the Spring, that's a strong possibility.

Will keep watering and hope for the best! 

Cheers, 
    Rob
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045
    To save me repeating myself, have a look at this thread which discusses a similar problem - https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/comment/2387047#Comment_2387047
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • That's great advice - thanks Obelixx
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045
    Hope it works.  I love them when they glow red.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw