Forum home Problem solving

Reusing same compost for growing carrots

Hi

I recently harvested carrots growing in containers, was wondering if I can use the same compost in the pot to grow another batch of carrots? I’ve reused compost before for growing herbs but this is first time I’ve grown carrots so not really sure about reusing when it comes to growing carrots in the same pot.

This year I also started growing tomatoes first time in containers, would appreciate to know if I can also re-use the compost once I’ve harvested them tomatoes. What’s best practice on reusing compost in containers?

Many thanks in advance.

Jay

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,119
    While carrots certainly don't like rich soil, I'm not sure if you could re use it. although it could possibly be ok if some fresh stuff was mixed through it. There are plenty of veg growers who'll be able to advise on that though.  :)
    I wouldn't re use tomato compost for more tomatoes though.  Most people would use fresh compost for potting on until they're in their final pots. It needs to have some nutrients to keep them happy until they're at fruiting stage.  I'd also be wary  of blight spores being carried on if you grow outdoors and have had that problem. 
    I use all the spent compost as a soil conditioner on my beds/borders.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    edited August 2021
    You can (and I do) re-use the compost from tomato pots for growing carrots, due to their low nutrient requirements, as @Fairygirl says.  I mix it with sharp sand and add a small amount of fish, blood & bone fertilizer while mixing.  That works well.  I have also grown carrots in a raised bed filled with that mixture repeatedly over 3 years, but even with enviromesh, pests built-up in there (carrot fly and later vine weevil larvae) so I wouldn't recommend growing them in the exact same compost/soil for more than one season. :)
    Edit: I'll just add that, for the same reason (and apart from beans), it's a bad idea to try and grow the same veg in the same compost or soil every year, so always use a form of crop-rotation, even in pots.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks for the advice, just to clarify I had sown carrots in spring this year in pots using new compost. I’ve now harvested them and ready to sow another batch of carrots. If my understanding is correct, I should rather reuse compost in which I had grown tomatoes instead of reusing the compost in which I had grown carrots earlier - Crop rotation. 
    Just wanted to somehow reuse the compost in which I had grown carrots earlier so it doesn’t go to waste. 

Apologies if I’m getting this entirely wrong. I’m still learning and at the same time trying to reuse as much as I can. 

Thanks
    Jay

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    edited August 2021
    No, you seem to get it perfectly. :smile:  You could try lettuces, herbs, radishes (or any other quick-growing but low-nutrient-requirement veg.) in the compost which you have previously grown carrots in (add a bit of fertilizer), just avoid anything in the carrot family.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,119
    Yes - you don't want to mix anything unsavoury which can affect a new crop @jaybeestar78, so the best solution is as @BobTheGardener describes, re the tomato compost mixed with fresh.  :)
    The best way to use the spent carrot compost would be as a mulch in other areas of your garden or plot. If you don't have ornamentals, you can also just add it to a compost bin if you have one. 
    Don't worry - we're all still learning, and it's great that you want to reuse, but also great that you asked the question. I'm not sure I had a clue about much when I was just starting out and that would have been multiplied several times over if I'd been wanting to grow lots of veg.   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Many thanks again @Fairygirl and @BobTheGardener. That was very helpful.  :)

Jay
  • muckyhandsmikemuckyhandsmike GlosPosts: 122
    I’m interested in this topic as I have 4 freestanding plastic planters full of compost. One had rocket in it in early summer and I successfully used it again for carrots later this summer. I did add some growmore and some fresh compost too along with a bit of bonemeal scattered within it. 
    2 of the others have carrot which I am still harvesting, the 4th had annuals.
    my intention was to mix in fresh compost/growmore/bonemeal/manure when they are all clear of plants and use again next summer.
    i have larger wooden overground raised planters which I plan to use for potatoes, carrots, leeks and parsnips so I’m wondering what to use the plastic planters for ? Would more rocket, courgette, bush toms (if I can get them next year !) go well I wonder or would I really need fresh compost ?
    i should add that I already have two raised herb troughs planted up.