Forum home Plants

Have I found the correct name for this particular Thalictrum?

ren.bren.b Posts: 164
I've just bought a Thalictrum but the card only says 'my little favourite' - I googled a lot of thalictrums and was trying to compare leaf shape and the flower colour.  Mine is the first photo with the price tag and the other one is what I think might be mine - called 'Thalictrum Filamentosum' - is it the same one?

• ren.bren.b Posts: 164
    Wonder why it is showing white flowers on the card?  The leaf shape is the same - what is an aquliegifolium?  Is that a different plant?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863
    Thalictrum aquilegifolium. ( just means " with aquilegia like foliage " )
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,837
    The photo on the label seems to have lilac flowers at the bottom. Perhaps the flowers fade to whiter shades as they mature  :)
    The main thing to remember is that they all have roughly the same requirements, so it's really only heights that are varied, and that can vary anyway depending on the site and conditions. The one you have will be good nearer the front of the border, whereas most of the others are best for middle to back. 
    T. delavayi tolerates wetter conditions than T. aquilegifolium too :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 2,416
    edited August 2021
    It might be that the label has been discoloured by the sun. At the bottom of the label I can spot different coloured flowers.

edit: wrote at the same time as @Fairygirl.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,296
    The most widely available Thalictrum aquilegifolium are Thundercloud (purple flowers) and Album (white flowers) the only difference is the flower colour.
    If you're looking for care instructions, then this should help-
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/68487/Thalictrum-aquilegiifolium-Album/Details

I have Thundercloud and the very tall and graceful Thalictrum Delavayi.
    They both self seed a bit which is great.
    Never seen any bugs or disease on them and they come back each year without any trouble. I give them no care at all.

Great plants -  T. Delavayi in flower today -

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,712
    edited August 2021
    Thalictrum aquilegiifolium is a wonderful plant ...but grows very tall 2 m easily.
    It flowers early here in May. I dead headed mine and it has just got a 2nd flush of flowers.see pics below

This new Thalictrum...
    Thalictrum aquilegiifolium "Little Favourite" is apparently much shorter...but still with the same pretty purple flowers

Quote www..."A compact, clump forming perennial with clouds of fluffy, purple pink flowers on stiff stems and scalloped, glaucous green lacy foliage.  Height and spread 45cm. " 

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    @pitter-patter -  I think you're right about the label. That never occurred to me! ;)
    Much more likely than the flower colour changing, although that does happen with loads of plants as they grow and mature.  :)

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 1,957
    I've been lusting after Thalictrums this year but not got around to getting any.

If I find some could I plant them now ready for next year?
    Yes  :)