Forum home Garden design

Daphniphyllum macropodum trees

Are there any videos showing how to correctly prune this evergreen tree. I have one in my back yard that is 25 feet tall. This tree is so wired. It might resemble a rhododendron in appearance but it stops there. Lot of it's smaller branches want  to grow around like a loop. The tree I have is female and grows fruit, small berries. Soon as these berries drop to the ground and come in contact with moist soil a  new tree appears. It was not long after I started planting these new seedlings in nursery pots. Is does not take long you own many Daphniphyllum macropodum trees. What I did notice is no real leader branches just many vertical branches. So now is time to prune. Question is do I prune as if it were a rhododendron or is there something special here.  

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    I have one of these in a pot and nowhere near big enough to think about pruning but I did look it up on the RHS site so I could see how to care for it.  I have just the one and there are none anywhere near so it will never bear fruit as you need both a male and a female plant for that.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/128393/i-Daphniphyllum-macropodum-i/Details 

The time to prune is in spring but in the meantime you could remove any flowers and fruit before they set.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks Obelixx for your reply. The university of British Columbia has a botanical garden. It has one or more full grown daphniphyllum-macropodum on site. I'll check in there. I'll let you and others know how all this works out. 
  • I have heard back from University of British Columbia Botanical Gardens and would like to share this info about daphniphyllum-macropodum pruning:

Hello Brian
    The Daphniphyllum macropodium can take a hard pruning, it can also be shaped after flowering which is in mid to late spring. Very much like a rhododendron.  These can get very large and will need to be kept in check for a small garden.  They are dioecious- need both male and female to produce. UBC garden has several in the Asian garden where there is lots of space and rarely need pruning.  RegardsShelaghVolunteer Hortline Team

No worry, just hired a contractor  who had a look  and says I can make it look good again and balanced. He is a respected Arborist and knows what to do , I hope. 
    I love that tree. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255
    It would be good to see some photos… before and after maybe?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Some photos showing results after pruning. Prune it like a Rhododendron I'm told so I did. Large branches removed near the trunk, not flush but just a stub. Other sides of the tree look for leaf buds and cut just above. Keep everything balanced. 
    That looks a handsome tree. Thanks for the follow up 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    That looks really good @b.stokes.webmail.   I love a well lifted crown. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • This tree likes to grow new trees, I know, I ran out of nursery pots saving as many as I could. Most I gave away to my local park. This one I planted on city property front of my house. All was okay till city contractors pruning all boulevard trees discovered mine. I told them I planted it and please leave it alone. No deal, if its on city land it belongs to the city. I complained so I gets  referred to head arborist city of New Westminster. Over he comes has a look. He does not know what it is so he takes photo sends it to a plant  
    identification web site. Okay, its a daphniphyllum-macropodum, now  what? Head arborist decides he likes it. Not what the city would chose but it can stay. Now it belongs to the city. Instructs contractors how he wants small pruning completed. I'm instructed  please keep your hands off it. I can look at it, water during hot weather and be great full it did not get dug up.  
    Maybe it needs a bronze plaque? 😉 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,706
    At least the tree gets to stay! Round here the council jobsworths would probably have just hacked it down without even consulting someone who knows what they're doing.