Forum home Plants

New Lavatera need advice before planting

DwrgiDwrgi Posts: 35
Hi everyone, Im looking for some advice.
I've bought a few plants yesterday, one of them being a Lavatera. I did make some research before buying as i live in a coastal condition, but now im nervous.
I have a very large pot for it to be planted in, but im not sure if i should pot it on first so its a bit bigger before i put it in the big pot.
There's quite a size difference which has got me wondering, and ive noticed in other discussions and on gardeners world they say not to put it in to too big a pot.
Ive put the big pot upside down for now with the plant on top so i can see it from my window, but your advice will be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,889
    Have you got a photo  @Dwrgi? That will help if we can see the size you're talking about.  :)
    I'm not sure how well they do in pots long term. Not something I've ever done, and I don't grow them now, but someone else will be able to offer advice on that, I'm sure.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DwrgiDwrgi Posts: 35
    Here it is, so pretty. 
    And as i said a real size difference. 
     As a guide i would say the posts behind it are around 4ft at most. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,340
    I'd put it straight into the big pot.
    They get very big, so you'll probably end up having to put it in the ground.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    I think I'd agree with that. There's a lot of top growth for that wee pot, and root, to support. It's a good time of year for it to grow on well too.
    They do get a bit big and floppy, so other planting is the best solution for supporting them  :)

Thank you, i do have space to put it in the ground so if that's the best thing for it I might do that eventually. 
    In the meantime my job this evening will be to fill and plant the pot up. Im so excited! It's my first new plant in my front garden 😃
    Enjoy it then!  :)

hi all, thank you for the advice. 
    I thought I would share an update with how it looks now I've planted it.