Forum home Fruit & veg

Mystery squash

I harvested pumpkin seeds last autumn and planted them this spring. I seem to have two marrows and one spaghetti squash growing.  How could this happen and are they safe to eat? 

• Much depends on the type you grew and harvested last year. Not all saved seed will come true  - more particularly from F1 varieties. No real reason why they should be inedible tho - when ripe, try one and see :)
  • Thank you - I live in Canada; the original pumpkin came from a local farm so it was an experiment. I'll let them mature completely then give them a try. Thanks for your reply. 
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,508
    Your seeds could be anything that the farm you bought them from grew, if it grew F1's as well then there's even more possible genetics mixed in there, wait for them to mature and see what you get, last year I got a blue/gold coloured uchi kiri where the mother was a crown prince and the father I presume a uchi kiri.
  • Thank you.  Gardening is exciting!  I read recently that hybrids can be toxic - is there any way to tell other than taste tests?  
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,508
    no, but you really will not miss the taste!