Forum home Plants

Any idea what this is? I want some…..

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Posts: 1,021
Found it in a tub in mums so of course it has no label. Bees are loving it.

Marne la vallée, basically just outside Paris 🇫🇷, but definitely Scottish at heart.

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,714
    Penstemon...many named cultivars.
    Maybe Penstemon Arabesque red.

https://www.brooksidenursery.co.uk/penstemon-arabesque-red-3-jumbo-plug-plants.html
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    edited August 2021
    The individual flowers look like penstemon but the leaves or way the flowers are close together not so much. Could be a different variety or some thing else completely. I'm sure someone will answer and be more help 🙂

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,633
    ..be more help?... strewth.. there is no better help than Silver Surfer's.. and it's clearly a Penstemon..

..  I get seriously annoyed when members appear ungrateful for i'd's offered, without offering one in return... people can spend a lot of time trying to i.d. something, seemingly with little reward for their efforts...  not even a thank you on many occasions in my experience..   
    ...this is not aimed at the original post..
    East Anglia, England
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,450
    edited August 2021
    Some other red and white penstemon to look at are King George, Phoenix Red, Pensham Amelia Jane. I think any of those would fit the bill if you don't need to have the exact same variety. And if you do, cuttings root quite easily https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=406
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Red mapleRed maple Posts: 1,091
    Looks like my penstemon, which is Arabesque red.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,337
    edited August 2021
    @Marlorena - if you look at the timing of the posts Bijdezee was posting at roughly the  same time as Silver Surfer so probably hadn't seen SS's post. Happens all the time.🙂

I'm sure Bijdezee was saying that somebody else could probably offer a more definitive answer than his (or her) own posting and was not being in any way disparaging about Silver Surfer's post.

For my two penn'orth - certainly looks like a penstemon.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Posts: 1,021
    Thanks everyone I’ll have a look when I get back to France to see if I can find something similar. It’s really lovely, I will let mum know she could take cuttings as I know she would love more too.

I knew I could count on folks here to point me in the correct direction, thanks again.
    Marne la vallée, basically just outside Paris 🇫🇷, but definitely Scottish at heart.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,714
    I have sometimes posted and while selecting my pics /links to add, (or even turning the original pics,) someone else has beaten me to it with an answer.
    I have not been aware of this.
    Sorry if on occasions I appear to have ignored a previous post...it is not intentional.

Side ways pics are getting to be very annoying.
    Not the fault of the person posting but the system.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • FireFire Posts: 18,982
    edited August 2021
    @Marlorena - it was a cross-posting. @Bijdezee thought she was the first to reply.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    edited August 2021
    Marlorena said:
    ..be more help?... strewth.. there is no better help than Silver Surfer's.. and it's clearly a Penstemon..

..  I get seriously annoyed when members appear ungrateful for i'd's offered, without offering one in return... people can spend a lot of time trying to i.d. something, seemingly with little reward for their efforts...  not even a thank you on many occasions in my experience..   
    ...this is not aimed at the original post..
    At the time I wrote that reply Silver Surfer hadn't replied yet. No need to get worked up. I wasn't suggesting that others would know more than her. Weren't any other answers when I wrote it and 'ungrateful'?? Not aimed at OP. Aimed at me but you got it all wrong I'm afraid. 
    @Topbird - thank you, that's exactly what happened. I have never disparaged anyones answers.