Forum home Tools and techniques

Mattock Club

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,508
    I’ve only done two stump removals so far but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. 

On a raised bed on a slope surrounded by plants. No damage to surrounding plants; a bust knuckle on me but I learned my lesson. 

Bring on the stump removing! 
    edited August 2021
    I’m up for a cape. It would have to be waist height though otherwise it would get in the way. 

Still not keen on Lycra though. 

We don’t want to end up ridiculed like MAMILs! 
  • We are Stumpers! Incidentally, on a genuinely serious note, can anyone hold my hand through the application of SBK stump killer? I have a bottle and I am frankly terrified to open it. I cannot imagine myself having the manual dexterity not to spill it all over everything else. I need to kill some stumps that even the mattock won't help me with - a couple that would bring the wall down if I tried mattocking them.

Capes would be great. We could change into them in portaloos, now that phone boxes aren't really a thing.
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 4,017
    Mine is yellow and black too.  On more than one occasion with a favourite customer that likes to work with me,  we have both ended up in a large hole that we've removed a stump from,  covered in dirt and drinking beer laughing at ourselves!
  • What a convivial thing mattocking is.
    Mine is yellow and black too.  On more than one occasion with a favourite customer that likes to work with me,  we have both ended up in a large hole that we've removed a stump from,  covered in dirt and drinking beer laughing at ourselves!
    This is what it’s all about. I sat in the hole yesterday with a coffee. 

I had some strange looks from the walkers and cyclists going by but I’m hoping they understood! 
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,489
    Hope I can join! I am a big fan of mattocks, I have two, one regular size which we’ve had for years. I’ve just recently bought a mini mattock ( yellow and black) which I can tuck in the belt loops on my gardening apron, to have on hand in case I see any big weeds or brambles. Probably shouldn’t do that, always a chance I might disembowel myself if I fall over. We have quite a lot of rhododendron pontificum in the garden, so an ongoing project is to eradicate as much of that as possible.
    Also have a decent selection of ‘wrecking bars’.....
    I do have some trainers with steel toe caps. Bought them in Lidl one year, very hard to find them in ladies size 5, so snapped those up when they had them in stock.
    Ooooo @Ergates I think you were destined to be Club Member of the Month just for strapping that mattock to your tool belt. 

That is hardcore! 

I’ll design an award to hand out to you. 

In the meantime you have my utmost admiration! 

Welcome to the GWFMC 
  • I feel it worth saying that if toes are important, bowels are even more so.
    Haha @CostumedVole

Most things can be 3D printed these days.