Forum home The potting shed

HELLO FORKERS 🌻🍦🌻August ‘21

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,477
    edited August 2021
    Morning all.

Having a coffee accompanied by buzzing bees loving my patio plants. 

Hugs to Hosta. You are doing the most amazing thing any spouse can do - it’s called love 💕 

Looking amazing DD - you are so inspiring. 

Bat walk sounds good steephill. I think I’d have to wear one if those bee-keeper hoods though as a bit wary of bats flying into my face or hair 😱.

Have a lovely Sunday all.  

Ps. Just picked browning leaf off my Heuchera ‘Blackberry Jam’ and the whole thing lifted up as I pulled it! It looks like any roots have disappeared?? Plant looks healthy though?? Any ideas?? It’s one my faves too. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,157
    edited August 2021
    We must have just missed you @steephill 🤣🤣🤣.  We did a sunset walk around the little pond and up the jumps last night - and what a spectacular sunset it was 🔥.  Will keep an eye out for future bat walks - sounds fun.  The ones in our garden are very brave at the moment- flying boldly around a good hour before dark 🦇
    The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,157
    @AuntyRach prime suspects would be vine weevil larvae- they looooove heucheras 
    The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,269
    Morning all,
    I agree with Chicky, @AuntyRach, vine weevils most likely unfortunately.

Smashing place you've got there DD, your customers look very happy.

Best wishes to @Hostafan1 - you're a star. I was wondering whether you ought to take a day off occasionally just to relax and replenish your batteries. I know it's hard and you are bound to feel guilty but it was what I did in my mum's last few weeks - and she was fully conscious. You do need some 'me' time in order to get yourself through the worse times. Just a thought.

Hope you have a pleasant Sunday as well @Tui34.

We don't need to go on a bat walk @steephill, they swoop over our front lawn every night at dusk hoovering up the insects. I don't like them much.

I've just found the last batch of stewed apple from last year in the freezer @Dovefromabove, so I'm going to make an apple and blackberry crumble later. Need to eat it up before this year's batch!, m Anybody picking apples yet?

Relieved to read that the British Ambassador, his staff and lots of military have got home safely this morning. The rest are arriving later today it seems. Brize Norton is where my aunt and uncle first lived - in a converted Nissan hut in the 1950's which fascinated us children. There was an acute shortage of housing then apparently, some things never change. I dread to think where all these poor refugees are going to live.

Have a good day folks. More gardening for me I think.

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,477
    Think it is vine weevils! Thank you folks. Seen some! I read that I can  pick them off and wash plant and re-pot so going to try that. The plant looks like I can naturally divide it so if luck is on my side I might get 3 plants 🤞

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,681
    Hi everyone,  Had a busy morning shampooing the carpets and getting the washing done.  Having a cuppa now and wondering what to occupy myself with this afternoon.  Did loads of deadheading and plant feeding yesterday so I'm not gardening today.  Might take myself off to Ashwoods for a browse but that could prove expensive.
    Look after yourself @Hostafan1
    Hope your heuchera survives @AuntyRach
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,481
    Getting excited now ... just booked our hotel for our home journey from Cornwall ... we leave early morning, drive to Bedfordshire and stay in a comfortable hotel there overnight, and after breakfast we have a leisurely 100 mile journey home, sometimes calling in at the farm where I lived for the first four years of my life, to buy some meat, veg, fruit, milk etc from their farm shop.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,671
    Bless you all for the kindess.
    I'd love a day off . It's an hour each way, but I'd feel guilty for the rest of my life if that was his last day and I'd chosen not to visit.
    Today he can't walk any more without help
    Devon.
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,105
    I appreciate your dilemma Hostafan,  when my mother was in hospital on palliative care OH and I went in first thing every morning.  One day (my birthday) we phoned first thing for an update and it was,  as usual, no change.  We were going to have an easy day and go in mid morning.  About half an hour later we got a call to go in and when we got there (only 5 miles away) she had passed away. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,269
    That is sad but inevitable I'm afraid. I'd have a word with the palliative care staff @Hostafan1, they usually have a very good idea how long is left. We were warned that Mum was likely to slip into a coma towards the end, which she did and we then managed a 24 hour vigil for a week. Sometimes when end of life is near, the patient gets moved into a single room.  

It's very tough but you do have to think of your own well-being.

I do apologise if this upsets any others but I happen to believe we don't talk enough about what happens when somebody dies. I think prior knowledge helps people to cope.
    My Mum's GP and the care home nursing staff were very good at explaining the difficult bits.
This discussion has been closed.