Forum home Garden design

Laying garden edging - What should I use?

Hi, I have purchased these wrought iron railings (to replace the makeshift fence shown in the picture) which I'm going to concrete into the ground. However, I am going to lay some concrete edging first to keep the soil back and the railings will rest on top of the edging... My question is what edging should I use? Some people have mentioned using the concrete blocks but they are not really decorative enough...and really I am looking something that will match the existing blue/grey bricks shown in the pictures...Any ideas?! 

• gondorgondor Posts: 112

There are a variety of edging options HERE.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,383
    Can you get frostproof/engineering bricks in a similar colour, or block pavers?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,322
    Why not put a concrete edging in, and then face it with some of the bricks you have in the gate pillars?
    Or, to make life even easier, just lay a course of those dark grey bricks to form the edging, assuming they're suitable, but if they're being used for those pillars, they should be fine. It would mainly be a question of getting them in the right place.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• j_fleming03j_fleming03 Posts: 16
    edited 3 August
    Thanks, I took a look at that link.. I found something similar which I will use..It's the large sized Charcon kerbs...

JennyJ said:
    Can you get frostproof/engineering bricks in a similar colour, or block pavers?
    I was told bricks (or at least a single row)would not be enough to hold the soil back..
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,322
    A single row of brick would be fine there. The soil is on the same level so I'm not sure why anyone would think it's a problem.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Yes I guess I was thinking a single line of bricks would not be enough to hold the soil back but maybe two rows would work? And then they would match the gate pillars which would look nice...
    Those larger blocks look good, but one or two courses of bricks/blocks on a concrete footing should work. I would go with two to allow for future mulching. Or bricks set on end into a concrete footing if they have frogs/holes that you wouldn't want exposed on the top row.
    Thanks Jenny, From a visual perspective would you choose the bricks over the kerbs? Or is there really nothing in it? 
    I think it's just what you like best. It won't be very visible from the inside by the time your plants have filled out a bit more.