Forum home Problem solving

Clematis in pots?

I keep purchasing clematis and they keep dying what am I doing wrong? I use John Ines, have even bought a water meter, feed with vitax q4,  but they keep dying…pls help they grow then just wilt and die….

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,470
    Could be the stems getting damaged, for example nibbled by slugs or snails, or accidentally damaged while tying in to their supports. Then everything above the damaged part of the stem will wilt and die. There's also a disease called clematis wilt that causes die back to soil level. It's a good idea to plant them deeper than they are in the pots you buy them in, so that there are some growth buds below the soil that the plant can grow back from if anything happens to its top growth. And choose smaller types if you have to grow them in pots long-term. There won't be enough goodness and moisture to support a bigger one for long. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,139
    What sort of clematis?
    What sort and size of pot?
    Where is the pot placed?

photos would help 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,835
    Are you choosing ones which are suitable for pot culture?
    Their care is also dependent on the type - some will not appreciate lots of food and water. Some need loads. The age, and maturity, are also factors. Aspect etc
    You could be killing with kindness   :)

More info needed for good advice  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,139
    And the types?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Clematis tiga, Kokomo, how do you know how much a certain clematis like food wise, i thought all clematis group 2 and 3 liked a lot of food, I only feed granular twice a year.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,293
    I would not plant a clematis in a terracotta pot as they absorb far too much water and clematis are thirsty plants.      In a pot or the ground the group 2s and 3s will appreciate a generous feed of slow release clematis, rose or tomato fertiliser every spring and then a weekly drink of liquid tomato feed from April to August as part of their usual watering routine which can be daily in hot or dry spells.

This website lists thousands of clematis but neither Tiga nor Komono feature but, if you buy any more, select clems that only get to about 2m high as they will cope better with having their roots restricted in pots or else go for a macropetala or alpina as they like drier conditions but they do have a much shorter flwoering period.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Obelixx said:
    I would not plant a clematis in a terracotta pot as they absorb far too much water and clematis are thirsty plants.      In a pot or the ground the group 2s and 3s will appreciate a generous feed of slow release clematis, rose or tomato fertiliser every spring and then a weekly drink of liquid tomato feed from April to August as part of their usual watering routine which can be daily in hot or dry spells.

This website lists thousands of clematis but neither Tiga nor Komono feature but, if you buy any more, select clems that only get to about 2m high as they will cope better with having their roots restricted in pots or else go for a macropetala or alpina as they like drier conditions but they do have a much shorter flwoering period.
    Well we have had so much rain and I check daily with the moisture meter that they are always wet, I do the above and still have bad luck….
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,293
    Rain alone is not enough in pots.  You need to water and also make sure you have a good, loam based compost and not MPC tho an 80-20 mix is good for moisture retention.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Obelixx said:
    Rain alone is not enough in pots.  You need to water and also make sure you have a good, loam based compost and not MPC tho an 80-20 mix is good for moisture retention.
    Even if the moisture meter says wet? What’s MPC?