Forum home The potting shed

Can I take a cutting from a broken Gypsophila branch?

tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,291
I had some gypsophila  growing in a tub - the wind has whipped off a large branch.  I have put it lengthways into a bowl of water.  Would anyone be able to tell me if it is possible to strike a cutting or cuttings, please?
A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,090
    If I remember correctly the stems are quite woody /wirey so if you treat them as semi ripe or woody cuttings it may work.
    AB Still learning

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,291
    Thank you for answering @Allotment Boy .  It's worth a try - I only planted it in autumn and it was the biggest part hanging off.  Yes, it is quite woody.  I'll trim the sides and pot it lengthwise.
    I'll let you know.

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,364
    Is there any soft growth at the top that you could take softwood cuttings from?
    Yes, @floralies.  The wind has whipped a good branch from middle to the top.  So I'll take a few cuttings.   Do you think I should do a planted lengthwise or a planted straight down cutting?  Thank you for answering my query.    Hey!  It's 21°C now, although it's 25°C inside, I've put leggings and a cardy on!!

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,364
    Morning @tui34 I was thinking it may be a bit late for soft wood cuttings and you may have to take semi ripe ones. If you go on the RHS site and look for cuttings it gives you info on how to take them. 
    Lovely!  Thank you @floralies  Hope you're not too cold.  Blue sky now with lots of puffy clouds - but not warm at all.....

I shall look on the site now.