Forum home Fruit & veg

Has sweetcorn stopped growing?

tomhumftomhumf Killamarsh, NE Derbyshire, UKPosts: 51
edited 31 July in Fruit & veg
My sweetcorn seemed to be going well considering its my first year growing it. I have one cob on each plant. A few weeks ago it seemed to stop growing though, they are around 3 to 4 ft tall,  cobs haven't got any bigger. The leaves are starting to yellow now so I guess it's dying off? 

Maybe I didn't water enough at a crucial point, or nutrition was a problem. I just used some chicken pellets and compost before growing. 

Should I just pick all the small cobs now and give up or hold out for possible growth? 

• bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 231
    Sweet corn looks like that when the cobs are ready. Harvest now or risk losing your crop 
  • tomhumftomhumf Killamarsh, NE Derbyshire, UKPosts: 51
    I harvested a few. They aren't very yellow and lots of corns missing. Bad pollination I guess? Maybe I'll have them outside and closer spacing next year. They were about 1ft spacing in polytunnel. I did shake the tops a lot over the tassels though.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,766
    The colour is irrelevant. Press a thumbnail into a kernel. If the juice is milky the cob is ripe. If it's clear it’s not ready to pick, but check daily. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh