Forum home The potting shed

Tetanus jabs?

FireFire LondonPosts: 10,843
Pretty much every day, for much of the year, I am scratched, jabbed, spiked, cut or impaled by something in the garden; I can't seem to put the compost out with being attacked by a chair, a rose or a random piece of wire hanging from an archway. I have had some very nasty, rusty gashes over the years but never thought to have a tetanus jab, I guess partly because garden cuts are such a daily occurance.

Tetanus bacteria is most commonly found in soil. The condition is rare but serious. The vaccine needs to be administered every ten years (possibly less these days), but GPs etc never seem to mention it...
Is this a grand oversight?

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne and Wear Green Belt Posts: 803
    It’s funny I was trying to work out when I had my last tetanus jab. 

My online medical records only go back as far as 2007 and it’s not on there so I reckon I’m well overdue. 

Over the last few months I’ve had more cuts and scratches then ever before. 

I really should get a jab booked. Can I just ring up and say “I need a tetanus jab please”? I imagine there will be forms to fill in to assess my eligibility and risk but perhaps tetanus is old school. 

You barely hear anyone talking about it these days. I remember being paranoid as a child that I’d get lockjaw if I got soil under my nails! 

I’m waffling. Is that a symptom?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,520
    I think I'm probably due for a booster by now, I think my last one was around 2010. I don't think my risk is too high at the moment though so it can probably wait until this covid thing calms down a bit.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,843
    edited 31 July
    I seemed to have tenatus jabs every other week at school when I was bitten by a mouse or a vole.

" Can I just ring up and say “I need a tetanus jab please”?"

For sure.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,784
    I’ve had a tetanus jab every ten years throughout my life … I would mention it to the GP during a visit and he or she would stick a needle in my arm. No fuss. 
    Then about ten years ago when I asked, I was told that after so many jabs I would have built up an immunity and the only time    I would need one now would be if I had an injury that needed medical attention. Is that correct?  I trust my doctor with other stuff so … 🤷‍♀️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,729
    Having seen a few cases ( and deaths ) from Tetanus, I religiously have repeat jabs every 10 years plus each time I have travelled to far off places.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 576
    Interesting. I have also been told that at my advanced age, I won’t need boosters any more as I would have built up enough immunity. 
    I think I had a booster within the last ten years though. Rescuing an ungrateful squirrel with its foot trapped in a bird feeder, it managed to get its teeth through my welding gloves. Had a precautionary course of antibiotics too.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,697
    I've had the same advice as you, @Dovefromabove
    I was bitten by a dog 3 or 4 years ago and had to go to the MIU to get it dressed properly because it didn't stop bleeding. They gave me the option to have antibiotics but when I mentioned my last tetanus jab was probably 20 years ago they said I didn't need it. "If you've had a few jabs in your life you'll be immune now.". 

“There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,053
    I had one at the end of February this year. Something related to sledgehammer impact. :'(
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,784
    Hostafan1 said:
    I had one at the end of February this year. Something related to sledgehammer impact. :'(
    Wasn't it more to do with a rainwater butt? 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,053
    The tetanus jab was administered prior to the water butt confession.
    Devon.