Forum home The potting shed

Roundup/glyphosate being phased out in the US

wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,520
I just thought this might be of interest to people here. I've seen a few people defend its use as safe and it's still sold here as safe for kids and pets etc but the fact that the company is unable or unwilling to defend lawsuits in the US is very telling. They have set aside about $15billion to deal with the lawsuits from the people they have poisoned.
Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 10,854
    edited 31 July
    the fact that the company is unable or unwilling to defend lawsuits in the US is very telling.

Hmm. Perhaps. I would think it's a purely financial equation. Now there is some legal precident for farmers proving they got sick from Monsanto products (essentially bathing in the stuff), I'm not sure the company/s could withstand the scale of any class action. There have been huge pay outs already. A single couple were granted $2 billion in litigation payouts.

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,287
    We're (residential areas) not allowed to use it here.  It isn't for sale in garden centres, supermarkets etc.  We have to be content with other products  that don't contain glyphosate.   We can't get the old style of mothball either - I use them in the garden as a repellent for soil scratching cats.   
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,216
    edited 31 July
    Good.  I have long wished a pox on Monsanto for their glyphosate dangers denials and their treatment of farmers using their GM seed strains and especially of those neighbouring framers whose seed strains were contaminated by the GM genes.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,625
    Will it not continue to be made and sold in the Third World?

I’d be amazed if it isn’t.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,216
    I expect so - why should Monsanto be any more moral than the tobacco companies of drug dumpers? - but at least they'll be well out of pocket in the 1st world and loads of bad publicity which may, eventually, have the desired effect.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • coccinellacoccinella Posts: 106
    What I naively never thought of is that it is/was widely used along railway lines. Anyway glyphosate is currently approved for use in the European Union until 15 Dec 2022. Many countries though (including Luxembourg) have already banned it since 2019. Some good news.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,056
    edited 31 July
    Used as directed it's no more dangerous than using a knife. 
    If folk drench themselves in chemicals then sue the manufacturers for the stupidity , god help us all. 

Maybe we should ban bleach as some folk have been known to drink it?
    Also aspirins as folk have overdosed on them?  
    Ban dogs because some of them kill people? 
    Clearly all tobacco and alcohol should be banned as they kill millions per year. 
    Ban cars to stop folk being injured by them too.

For feck sake can we keep a sense of proportion?

Devon.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,698
    The difference though Hosta is that the dangers of most of those things are clearly stated and well publicised so the choice whether to (say) smoke or not is reasonably well informed. It didn't used to be. At the moment, it's really hard to know what the risk really is. Is it OK poured out of a watering can but more dangerous to inhale so don't spray it, maybe? Or do you need to avoid contact with the skin, so wear gloves? Or could you drink a pint of it and it would do you no harm? I have no idea. Maybe this information is out there but it certainly isn't either publicised in the way that, say, the dangers of drinking alcohol are, or legislated even to the extent that dangerous dogs are.
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,056
    The difference though Hosta is that the dangers of most of those things are clearly stated and well publicised so the choice whether to (say) smoke or not is reasonably well informed. It didn't used to be. At the moment, it's really hard to know what the risk really is. Is it OK poured out of a watering can but more dangerous to inhale so don't spray it, maybe? Or do you need to avoid contact with the skin, so wear gloves? Or could you drink a pint of it and it would do you no harm? I have no idea. Maybe this information is out there but it certainly isn't either publicised in the way that, say, the dangers of drinking alcohol are, or legislated even to the extent that dangerous dogs are.
    Children are foribidden from buying weedkillers, ergo only adults can buy it. 
    If adults choose to ignore the instructions, clearly printed, how do we legislate against such stupidity? 
    As far as I'm aware, the "ban" being suggested here will only apply to domestic users. 
    Farmers, local Authorities and highway agencies will be exempt. 
    Might I suggest that domestic users of weedkillers are probably a lot more discriminating on how / when/ where they apply it?
    Devon.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,770
    I really miss it in France. I am aware of the risks but I only used it twice a year on the drive. I wore gloves, wellies and old clothes and it only took about 20 minutes. Now weeding the drive is a real chore and the new weedkillers are expensive and don't work.
    Dordogne and Norfolk