Forum home Problem solving

Olive tree care

Hi all,

These lovely olive trees were left in our garden when we moved in last year. I’ve not done anything with them at all but I’m a bit concerned the one on the right in the photo may be dying? Can anyone advise how to care for them please? Also should I prune them? Apologies, I am a bit of a novice gardener. (Apologies also lol they won’t upload the correct way round!)

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,553
    The tree looks well enough, but can drop leaves for all sorts of reasons. This normally happens more in early summer. One tree may be more exposed to the wind or the roots can be either too dry or too wet. Check around the base to see how it is. Even small things like a large clump of Crocosmia nearby can suck water away from their roots. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,930

• Bee_KindBee_Kind Posts: 2
    The tree looks well enough, but can drop leaves for all sorts of reasons. This normally happens more in early summer. One tree may be more exposed to the wind or the roots can be either too dry or too wet. Check around the base to see how it is. Even small things like a large clump of Crocosmia nearby can suck water away from their roots. 
    Hey thanks for your advice - we think it might be the wind.. the tree on the left is a lot more sheltered. What do you suggest about the crocosmia- chop it right back? 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,553
    It’s totally up to you. They do get big so can be divided up or dug out and re-planted further away. 

You can also light pruning back some branches. This normally stimulates new growth. Worth trying before autumn sets in. 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,110
    They do look a bit congested with a lot of crossing branches.  Apparently they will take quite hard pruning but personally I would just thin and lightly prune. Not taking more than 1/3off any woody plant is a good guide.  
    AB Still learning