Forum home Fruit & veg

Will I get any tomatoes ??

2»

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,257
    I've been picking Sungold, Chocolate Cherry and Bloody Butcher for the last 3 or 4 weeks.  GH ones have obviously fared better but even the ones outside have produced a few - tho this recent stormy weather isn't exactly helping matters :'(
    OTOH, plenty of Pepper and Chilli but no sign of ripening yet.
    I'd agree with @raisingirl - don't give up yet - still a couple of months to go :)  
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,984
    I don't think anyone was suggesting giving up on them. Quite the opposite  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,257
    I think it was @edhelka who suggested it may be too late for them to ripen but that could simply have been for the OP's to ripen on the plant :)

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,588
    My Sungold have been poor this year. They germinated just fine then seemed to stall for a month. I turfed them out into the cold greenhouse in May where they sulked even longer. They are now 6 ft tall but only have 3 trusses each and it will be a struggle to get ripe fruit from those unless we get an Indian summer. I am in South Central England which should be warm enough for outdoor toms but blight would kill them so they stay in the greenhouse. I think they prefer stable warm temperatures which isn't what we've had so far this year - too cold then too hot now cold again.
    I think you're right @steephill. Keeping a consistent temp can be difficult. In many ways, it's easier if you can't grow outdoors, because at least blight is a bit less likely, on the whole. 

• *Astrantia**Astrantia* Posts: 245
    Thanks for all the advice! I cant remember what they are maybe gardeners delight? They were a free packet of seeds on a magazine so I just thought I’d give them a go! I started them off in the greenhouse, didn’t know they should have been in the house , so that’s obviously why they were so slow to get growing.

I’ll keep going with them see what happens I’ve got a couple of bigger pots but as mentioned that’s a lot of compost ! Maybe I’ll just pot on a couple or it’ll get expensive ! 
    I assume truss is a branch? Oh well nothing lost apart from some compost thanks for the help and advice everyone!!
    edited July 2021
    A truss is the branch/stem with the fruits.  :)
    I don't know whereabouts you are @*Astrantia*, but I think that's been the problem - a bit too cold to get the seed germinating, and then too chilly for the plants to grow on. You'll know for next year  :)
    I use clematis pots for mine to pot on into from the pot they're sown in - I do 3 seeds to a 3 inch pot, and then thin out to pot on. Not every one will germinate anyway. They then go into their final pots from those - around ten to twelve  inch pots.
    I've got a plant grown on from a sideshoot which is still in a 3 litre clem pot, and will stay in that. I just nipped out the top when it had around 5 trusses of fruit as that will be enough. It stays in the house and goes out during the day  if it's warm enough.  :)

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Is a 15 litre pot best for tomatoes - around 30x30cm?

I've grown tomatoes in huge pots before (50/50) as I held this to be the closest I could get to growing toms in the ground (said to be the best way). I already had the pots. At the end of the season the whole pot was a mass of dense roots. Growing a two metre tom tree in a little pot would seem to be detrimental to the plant.

I know some forum peeps have said their plants get more like to a metre and they pinch them out from there. Some have also said that you want to severely stress the plant and that way it will create more fruit. I would think a bigger pot allows for holding of more water and more nutrients over time (though, yes, the cost of the compost would offset some of the cost benefit of growing your own toms).
    They're annuals, so they have a 'shelf life', and using anything much bigger than necessary is a wee bit pointless.
    I've used pots suited to the size of my growhouse, because it doesn't have the height, and therefore a bigger pot wouldn't be needed. The variety of tom will also be relevant - I only grow cherry toms.  I've used individual pots, but I've also used rectangular containers which take 2 toms, simply to make best use of the space. No difference to the crop - same toms each time. 
    A little stress is often beneficial to force flowering/fruiting. Our resident tom expert has been a bit absent on the forum, but posed recently. I've learnt a huge amount about growing from @Italophile  :)