Forum home Problem solving

Rotten leaves/flower stems of arum lily /calla lily

I bought this beautiful plant in the garden centre only two weeks ago. It was all fine until I planted it into the compost in the new flowerbed (we are going away for holiday soon, so thought it stood better chance to survive in the ground).

One of the leaves started turning yellow last weekend. Then I realised it started to rot from the bottom stem. The stems of 2 leaves and one flower turned slimy and gave away as soon as I touched them. Two other flowers are turning slightly yellow from the upper tip. 

I researched online. Possible explanations are root root due to over watering, fungi/bacteria or reaction to re-planting.

I'm not sure what to do with it. The ground is not exactly dump. But it does drain slowly. I only started gardening this year. Can't tell if the soil is clay or not, even though my neighbour told me that we have quite good soil (not clay). We only live on a hill, so I'd think the water would drain easier being on a slope.

Shall I dig it out or leave it be? Would the fungi/bacteria affect other plants in the same area ? (None of the other plants had problem with the compost/soil - in the same area or not.)

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,782
    I wonder if the problem had started but was not visible, when you bought it. Two weeks is quite fast for total break down. There isn't much you can do other than removing damaged areas and hoping for the best.