Forum home Problem solving

Are this hydrangea petiolaris and honeysuckle being eaten by vine weevils?

foxgloveloverfoxglovelover De Haan, BelgiumPosts: 13
Many thanks for taking a look. Also: does anyone have experience with biological (nematodes) pesticides against vine weevils? We also have yew in the garden and I don’t want them to start nibbling on that … 
cheers!! 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,835
    I think that's leaf cutter bee rather than vine weevil  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• foxgloveloverfoxglovelover De Haan, BelgiumPosts: 13
    Thanks Fairygirl! How do I spot the difference between damage from vine weevils and leafcutter bees? If it’s weevils I really want to take action… The bees are more than welcome to take a bite from my plants :-)
    The chunks taken out are much longer and wider when it's  bees. V. weevil notches are much smaller and more uniform. 
    If you look at the leaf, top right,  in that third pic - you can see how large it is  :)

• bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 232
    Also , if I may but in ,the plant usually wilts with vine weevils 
    Only if it's the larvae though, because they eat through the roots.  Adult vine weevil damage often does no harm to an otherwise healthy plant -especially shrubs. It's just unsightly  :)  

Cool! 
    I love having a bee wallpaper supply in my garden 😎

You can certainly do a search to compare the damage, and it'll give you lots of info and photos. Any of the wildlife sites will have it.  :)

I’ll do that.  Thanks! I didn’t know of the existence of leafcutter bees. 
    Just went out and checked with my torch: it’s vine weevils, I’m afraid 😱. So I’ll order some nematodes asap to prevent further damage. Many thanks Fairygirl and Bcpathome for your advice! 
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne and Wear Green Belt Posts: 836
    This was leaf cutter bees in my previous garden last year. 

I’ll take a pic in the morning of the red robin that the weevils have been munching on for comparison. 

It could of course be both! If you pop out during the day you’ll see the bees. I have a video somewhere; it’s fascinating and very cute. 

I used nematodes and sharp grit on my heuchera and epimediums last year and they survived and I’ve only caught two weevils so far this year. Last year it was four or five every night.