Forum home Problem solving

Holes in the leaves of my Cherry tree

My cherry tree (Prunus, pink perfection) has come from the nursery a week ago with these holes in its leaves. I planted it but I'm afraid the new leaves are also affected. I couldn't find insects, worms or caterpillars on the leaves on either side. Any idea what causes this and how to treat it/prevent it from progressing?
TIA

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,307
    I wonder if that's damage from sawfly @aliabougazia85aa7zdarV? In your 2nd pic, there looks as if there's some severe stripping of leaves.  :/

Not something I'm familiar with, but my reply will push your query up, and hopefully someone can help.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    I wonder if that's damage from sawfly @aliabougazia85aa7zdarV? In your 2nd pic, there looks as if there's some severe stripping of leaves.  :/

Not something I'm familiar with, but my reply will push your query up, and hopefully someone can help.  :)
    Thanks Fairygirl. I hope someone knows what this is.
  • IgrowfromseedIgrowfromseed Posts: 256
    hope it’s not shothole indicating bacterial canker which I’ve seen on cherry and plum. Any lesions on the branches and trunk?
  • hope it’s not shothole indicating bacterial canker which I’ve seen on cherry and plum. Any lesions on the branches and trunk?
    Can't find anything obvious (which I hope is not due to my limited experience). I contacted the nursery, and they say this is "environmental shot hole" due to stressfull conditions and shouldn't progress. I couldn't find anything online. What do you guys think?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,307
    In that case, as long as you're giving the tree adequate care [water is the most important thing for newly planted trees] then hopefully, the nursery is right, and it should come through it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks Fairygirl. I hope so.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,542
    Most likely fungal leaf spot which happens more when there has been warm but wet spring weather. Should not cause issues so long as the tree is kept well watered and you rake away fallen leaves around the base over winter. By doing this, you limit a possible re-infection. Hopefully next year, the tree will be fine.
  • Most likely fungal leaf spot which happens more when there has been warm but wet spring weather. Should not cause issues so long as the tree is kept well watered and you rake away fallen leaves around the base over winter. By doing this, you limit a possible re-infection. Hopefully next year, the tree will be fine.
    Thanks Borderline. Is this the same disease as shot hole?
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,542
    Shot hole disease can be fungal so no way knowing which you have. Either way, the end result is the same. Keep the tree well managed, by that I mean watered well during dry and hot spells. Making sure there are no weeds or nearby large plants as competition near the root space. Ensure the tree is well mulched. This keeps the roots moist and cool during the summer time. 

Your tree should be fine if you rake out the leaves around the base over the winter months. This will limit re-infection. Water over leaves tends to be the issue of spreading it around, so get in the habit of removing leaves where they fall. 
  • Shot hole disease can be fungal so no way knowing which you have. Either way, the end result is the same. Keep the tree well managed, by that I mean watered well during dry and hot spells. Making sure there are no weeds or nearby large plants as competition near the root space. Ensure the tree is well mulched. This keeps the roots moist and cool during the summer time. 

Your tree should be fine if you rake out the leaves around the base over the winter months. This will limit re-infection. Water over leaves tends to be the issue of spreading it around, so get in the habit of removing leaves where they fall. 
    Great. Thanks again.