Forum home Garden design

Design ideas

I have a relatively long but slim garden. Having never had a garden before moving here, I haven't taken much care of it. Recently trimmed the jungle right back to what you see below. It's decking, followed by grass followed by a paved area.

Any ideas on how I should design this. The simpler the better!

• B3B3 Posts: 18,769
    What do you want to use your garden for?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Amin.RAmin.R Posts: 5
    To relax and host the odd BBQ when the weather gets better!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,939
    edited 29 July
    To me, it looks great already - and simple. You have lovely mature trees, your own and in the borrowed landscape. You could add some climbers, for the fences, but that isn't so simple. Replace the fence on the left or share replacement if it's collapsing or seen better days. As you say the 'simpler the better' I would personally not mess with what you have. If you want a lawn, then look up ways to make it do what you want it to do. I would mulch your beds to reduce the weeds coming back.

Some people will say 'widen your borders' and edge them. I think you're doing fine. If you want to keep it super simple, don't get drawn into making things more complicated than they need to be in order to follow some principle or other.

Myself and my neighbours have very similar gardens of similar dimensions (north facing). Mine is the same arrangement as yours - decking, beds, patio at the end.

Below is my garden when I bought the house. 7mx3m. Mostly shrubs - very low maintenance.

• AstraeusAstraeus Posts: 199

As with everything, it's personal taste and what you want your garden for. The design above would be no good if you have children kicking balls around (which, from your photo, looks as though it might be the case).

But what a design like the above does do is stop your garden looking long. Having the curved and wider borders will be a lot more maintenance than you have now but your eye would not see the entire length of the garden, rather you'd have to walk around the first 'belly' of the border on the left to see it. There are some people on here who've done something similar to a wonderful effect.

It's difficult with children because the garden is first and foremost a play space. If that is a consideration, I'd be inclined to make the end of the garden an adult zone. It's nicely shaded so it could have a very secluded, woodland feel to it. You could even plant up some screening hedge or plants in front of the paved area to completely segregate it from the play area. It would be a bit of a walk from the house for BBQs or drinks but could be a very nice area. I've drawn a summer house in above, which would also work in that space.
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 748
    Astraeus said:

As with everything, it's personal taste and what you want your garden for.

Yes, every single time!
  • Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 420
    Draw up a list of things you want out of a garden.
    Firstly, are you actually interested in gardening? - will you 'garden' on a regular basis?
    Do you have a budget?
    Do you want something easy to make & maintain? & something kid proof?
    What kind of garden style do you like - you said you wanted something simple so have look around the 'net for that style of garden.

Once you have a starting point you can think about the actual logistics. Don't get overly stressed about it though - have fun.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,769
    Most gardening decisions are not irreversible. Give it a go. If it doesn't work, try something else.
    In London. Keen but lazy.