Forum home The potting shed

Problem with large yew tree

What shrub can l grow under a large yew tree

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 844
    I'd not be looking at a shrub as such but you will need to give more info on the site before you can realistically expect any useful responses. A photo  showing the tree and surrounding  area would be good start  :)

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,194
    If it's a mature specimen, it won't be easy to establish anything. Ground will probably be dry and quite inhospitable underneath. 
    More info needed though @vivtaylor4EFbJmTlI, as @philippasmith2 says, so that appropriate advice can be offered   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes, it is a mature tree , bur feared this might be the case as l have tried over the past 4 years to grow various plants and trim the overhanging branches off to no avail. Will take a photo anyway and post!
    Thanks, 
    Viv
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,065
    Yew trees in the wild don't have very much growing under them, it isn't a very inviting location for other plant species. You may be misdirecting your effort by trying to achieve the impossible.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,784
    I agree with @steephill .... we once had a large yew tree on our land ... the soil beneath it was bare winter and summer ... not even stinging nettles or ground elder grew there (and they grew everywhere else).  My understanding was that it's a combination of the deep shade, dryness and a degree of toxicity built up in the soil from years of fallen needles.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you for your comments, much appreciated!  Will no longer trouble myself with 'flogging a dead horse ' so to speak and accept what nature throws at me!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,784
    Just be thankful that nettles and ground elder won't grow there  ... Nature usually abhors an empty space ... underneath a yew tree is the exception to prove the rule  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 811
    To sweeten the pill, an ideal site for a garden seat once you've got all the weeds out of the rest of your garden and need a break?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,194
    ...and comfort yourself that you may have a specimen that lasts for centuries  ;)
    https://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villages/fortingall-yew-p249411
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• WAYHAY! That means ir will be someone's problem! 
    Cheers,
    Viv