Forum home Fruit & veg

Bitter cucumbers

RullahRullah Midlands UKPosts: 54
Hi all I am growing 2 types of cucumber this year, one that needed the male flowers removing and one that didn't mention this on the packet. I guess I didn't get all of them (to be honest, almost all the flowers looked like they had a swelling behind them!? So not sure if I was even identifying the male/female flowers correctly) as we have ended up with some bitter cucumbers on the 'take them off' plants. I'm pretty gutted as we eat loads of cucumbers and there's at least 30 on there, most of which I'm guessing will end up being thrown away. 

Can anyone recommend a decent 'don't need to take the male flowers off' cucumber for me to grow next year? 

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,366
    I grow Passandra F1 variety @Rullah, it's very vigorous and a prolific cropper and all female.
  • RullahRullah Midlands UKPosts: 54
    floralies said:
    I grow Passandra F1 variety @Rullah, it's very vigorous and a prolific cropper and all female.
    Thank you I will look out for them next year!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,988
    edited 28 July
    I am growing Beth Alpha mini cucumber this year. To date I have had 19, but do have 5 plants two in greenhouse three outside. They don't grow as tall as some varieties I have had @Rullah ,  but as you can see they still produce well. They have thin skins and a milder flavour to Passandra which I am also growing this year, but only one plant which has had 6 to date.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,067
    I'm growing 'Luxury F1' this year and have grown most of the 'Telegraph F1' series - all are female only and prolific croppers.  GH only though.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,472
    @BobTheGardener. I am looking at the Telegraph F1,  says produces male & female,  doesn’t say pick them off, do you? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,988
    My Beth Alpha have both and I haven't taken any off @Lyn and they have been good.
    Thank you Purple Allim 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,067
    Lyn said:
    @BobTheGardener. I am looking at the Telegraph F1,  says produces male & female,  doesn’t say pick them off, do you? 
    I've never picked-off any male flowers on those, @Lyn (and never had bitter ones.)  I grew 'Telepathy F1' last year, which was developed from 'Telegraph'.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Thanks Bob,  I have read that incorrect watering causes bitter ones. 

• RullahRullah Midlands UKPosts: 54
    Apologies for the slow reply all, I've been away with no Internet for a week. Come back to all these cucumbers but it feels like Russian roulette when eating them with regards to whether they will be delicious or bitter 🤣