Forum home The potting shed

TJ

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,964
    edited July 2021
    Get a cardboard box. On it, in indelible ink, write ‘Ideas that seemed good for two minutes’. Put your plan on a piece of paper. Put it in the box and seal it shut. Put the box in a place where it will not be unearthed for several years, a teenager’s bedroom for example.
  • delskidelski Posts: 274
    Unnecessarily rude there picadae/wellcooked.
    @tj Please don't let the regulars put you off. They'll be dead soon enough.
    Your idea was good enough and you sought advice to see if would be pratical to achieve. Berating you otherwise is just downright unacceptable.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,014
    delski said:
    Unnecessarily rude there picadae/wellcooked.
    @tj Please don't let the regulars put you off. They'll be dead soon enough.
    Your idea was good enough and you sought advice to see if would be pratical to achieve. Berating you otherwise is just downright unacceptable.
    and your comment is also unnaceptable I've reported it.
    Disgraceful
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 81,408
    We’ll be dead soon enough eh?  But we’re all only 27 😲 🤪 only the greatest talents say goodbye then don’t you know 😉  … the rest of us go on … and on …and on … and when we do eventually fall off our perches  there’s always more just like us to take our places 🤣 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,394
    @tracey-templeGSb_Euib I have seen arches in conifer hedges but they have, without exception, been grown that way so your idea is not entirely hopeless, just not do-able by cutting into an established hedge.

I like the way you've cleaned up the bottom of the trees but the best thing you can do now is to keep the rest of them neatly clipped each year, being careful not to go back to brown wood or foliage as it does not regenerate.   It's true it does leave a great dark slab of green but you can mitigate that by placing some interesting pots in front and fill them with colour or the afore-mentioned arch with a bench or planters or both.  Make sure you leave a gap so you can get to the hedge for maintenance.

As for you @delski, you pop in late and insult gratuitously without ever offering helpful advice.   Time to consider whether you really need to be here.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,458
    @delski   anglo/italian good humour.  He/she was only having a dig.  

BTW @tracey-templeGSb_Euib   lovely patio area.  The trailing lavender is beautiful.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Thank you everyone for your advice and tips, I will indeed leave well alone, my head is brimming with ideas, some clearly need to be shelved…. One day my little garden will be an oasis 😊
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,964
    I apologise @tracey-templeGSb_Euib if my jokey comment missed the mark and caused offence.
  • steveTusteveTu UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)Posts: 2,407
    Your garden is an oasis already - you just don't realise it yet. Contentment is a mental thing, not a physical one.

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,014
    You have a lovely plot there @tracey-templeGSb_Euib. It can sometimes be hard to see what would work and what wouldn't, no matter how much experience or knowledge you might have.  :)
    It looks like you could certainly have a free standing arbour of some kind - whether in front of your hedge, or somewhere else, depending on what room you have, and where the sun falls etc. As you have that seat, why not try moving it to different locations and see what would look best? It would also depend on whether morning, afternoon or evening sun suits your needs too. No point putting it in the sunniest spot during the day, if you're at work, or having it for evening sun if you're using it most through the day.

You could also consider lifting some of the paving to plant directly into the ground, which is much easier for climbers than containers, and easier for maintenance   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....